Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Flextone ?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
how many "really big bucks" have you actually called in with that crap...honestly...

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
how many "really big bucks" have you actually called in with that crap...honestly...

Who me ?....none....never used one before :D. I have had a grunt tube for years..just never seen a reason to use it and screw it up and alert the deer to my location lol.

Although with todays web pages showing how a call works and what it's suppost to sound like where I can see and hear how they do it makes it more appealing to me to try it :D.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
its funny you never see the drury brothers try their mystical hemp in ohio.....i am almost fully convinced its a waste with the pressure and small woodlots most hunt. i got a whole tub full if you have one you want to try, let me know i prolly got it fo sale..

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
The bone collector shit pisses me off so I doubt I ever buy one. Just too much hype for me. O.K. my grunts are 10 years old I'll prolly get one. It is AMAZING what you hear a buck do during the rut, sounds you never thought possible from an animal that is mostly silent throughout the year.

One other thing, those bleat cans work well but I have also had the random "bleat" come from my pack. I solved this problem by putting a piece of duct tape over the holes. When you want to use it peel the tape back. When you are done put the tape back over the opening. You should only have to replace the tape once a season.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio

Never called one in I did not see, but I have managed to make a few stop that were passing by and have drawn a few good ones from a distance but not close enough for my remedial bow skills to get a shot. Alot of these younger guys could have made some of those shots, I am 23 yards or less. I am a hunter not a shooter.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I make it a point to never blind call. I only call when I see a deer, and I am positive I'm not gonna get a shot at it, in a last ditch effort to get it to turn around. Last year, I heard more deer being vocal than I ever have and I learned a lot from it. One thing I noticed is 90% of the time I heard a deer grunt last year, I had to question weather I actually heard it because it was so quiet. It usually took the deer doing it a second or third time before I was positive I heard what I did. I have noticed that bucks use a soft grunt quite often, kind of like a, "Hey, is anybody there?" I also noticed last year that the young bucks are easier to draw their attention with a bleat or grunt .

I also found that you have to think of your setup if you plan on trying to do any calling. Last year, I had two nice bucks come into a CRP on a flat right at eye level to me. They were both crossing the same trail, about 100y from my stand headed right to left. One was Hook, the buck Jesse and I had pictues of last year, and one was a 130ish 8pt. When I grunted, both stopped dead in their tracks and stood stiff as a statue for 10-15 minutes, looking in my general direction, ears the only thing moving. They had a bit of a vantage point, and could see down into where I was, and it was also dry. The deer would not committ to coming in, because they could not hear anything rustling around in the direction of the calling, and I am 100% sure of that. Yeah, calling isn't going to work all the time, and if you do it too much, you are gonna educate the deer, but I think that it can and will work if you use it correctly. Like I said, last year taught me a lot as far as deer vocalization, and I am hoping to put that knowledge from those experiences last year to good use here in about a month or so...

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
Last year, I had two nice bucks come into a CRP on a flat right at eye level to me. They were both crossing the same trail, about 100y from my stand headed right to left. One was Hook, the buck Jesse and I had pictues of last year, and one was a 130ish 8pt. When I grunted, both stopped dead in their tracks and stood stiff as a statue for 10-15 minutes, looking in my general direction, ears the only thing moving. They had a bit of a vantage point, and could see down into where I was, and it was also dry. The deer would not committ to coming in, because they could not hear anything rustling around in the direction of the calling, and I am 100% sure of that.

It is a pain in the ass to do but it has worked for me one of the 3 times I tried it. Take a scentfree piece of paracord(ask JJ for some if you don't have any, he seems to have an unlimited supply) and tie a stick or rattling antler to it and toss it from your stand. If you can loop it over a branch a tree or two over all the better. When you have a deer that won't commit jerk the rope to rustle the leaves on the ground. Like I said I have not fugged with this for years but it did work ONE time. Too much fugging around for me but some may want to try it.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
It is a pain in the ass to do but it has worked for me one of the 3 times I tried it. Take a scentfree piece of paracord(ask JJ for some if you don't have any, he seems to have an unlimited supply) and tie a stick or rattling antler to it and toss it from your stand. If you can loop it over a branch a tree or two over all the better. When you have a deer that won't commit jerk the rope to rustle the leaves on the ground. Like I said I have not fugged with this for years but it did work ONE time. Too much fugging around for me but some may want to try it.

Did that last year on a young buck I couldn't get to committ. He ended up working towards us, but we were in a deep bottom, and he only got close enough to see there wasn't a deer around. Then Jesse shit his pants and ran the dude off.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country

This one was with the Primos Roar and can combo. Got his attention with the roar to bring him to the edge of the woods and then got him in the woods with the can.

This one was just the roar. I was doing some softer grunts to try and get a smaller buck to come in and it brought this one in looking.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I thought Steve disappeared on us. Should have known he would be back. Anytime he gets a chance to post a pic of the double drop on the red barn siding he is all over it. My kids used to sleep with a stuffed animal. I think Steve's security blankie is the double drop mount.:smiley_crocodile:

Pay no attention to me Steve. It is only jealousy speaking!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I thought Steve disappeared on us. Should have known he would be back. Anytime he gets a chance to post a pic of the double drop on the red barn siding he is all over it. My kids used to sleep with a stuffed animal. I think Steve's security blankie is the double drop mount.:smiley_crocodile:

Pay no attention to me Steve. It is only jealousy speaking!

Yea the wife gets real mad when I role over and the one main beam goes you know where.:smiley_blackeye:

Matt

Norton, OH
2 or 3 years ago, I had a ~130 buck following a doe grunting. They were both coming straight towards me when the doe made a 90 degree turn and went up the hill. I grunted at the buck and he came off the doe's trail and came straight at me. Never gave me a shot though.