Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

FLORIDA HOG HUNT

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
It most certainly is easy to get lost in these swamps and marshes. Better know your directions and hope you don’t get turned around or you’ll be swimming back to your Prius or your truck lol back to fletch’s question. Best method I have found is spot and stalk because let’s face it hogs are extremely nomadic. But if you find a good ‘corn flat or food source hang a stand, hang on and wait for em to cross. Everyone going should have no problem killing hogs with either of these two methods. We could also do drive style hunts which I have had a lot of success with as well!

Last edited:

Stressless

Keene, OH
Absolutely perfect forecast for anyone sitting on the fence...
1642870202865.png

Jamie

Ohio
I would recomend some sort of GPS. It's easy to get turned around in the sea of green
I have never been so absolutely hopelessly lost and discombobulated as I was one time hunting hogs on a very cloudy evening in the palmetto swamps along the Savannah River in South Carolina. This was before I even owned a GPS. I got on to a hogzilla and was very intent on killing him. I was stalking him and gaining ground as he led me into the darkest, thickest, spookiest part of that 12,000 acres, and then he somehow vanished. I had no clue where I was. I was convinced that my very nice orienteering compass was malfunctioning. 😬 I followed my defective compass anyway, lol. I can't recall any time before or since that I was happier to see my truck in the fading twilight. shit all looks the same in the palmettos.

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
I have never been so absolutely hopelessly lost and discombobulated as I was one time hunting hogs on a very cloudy evening in the palmetto swamps along the Savannah River in South Carolina. This was before I even owned a GPS. I got on to a hogzilla and was very intent on killing him. I was stalking him and gaining ground as he led me into the darkest, thickest, spookiest part of that 12,000 acres, and then he somehow vanished. I had no clue where I was. I was convinced that my very nice orienteering compass was malfunctioning. 😬 I followed my defective compass anyway, lol. I can't recall any time before or since that I was happier to see my truck in the fading twilight. shit all looks the same in the palmettos.
It ain’t no joke getting into those swamps and thickets. Seems like they go on for miles!!

Fletch

Supporting Member
Oh well.... There went the number of attendees..... Just scared the shit out of them...

Fletch

Supporting Member
Yeh.... Them big lizards would be my main concern... Never really worried about getting lost in the woods... Although I've never hunted Florida swamps before so anything is possible.. I'm sure everyone will be fine and it's great seeing TOO members getting together...

Stressless

Keene, OH
One here, early afternoon the 28th, then scouting plan to hunt 29Jan-1Feb roll back home midday the 2nd or earlier depending on success of the hunters.

I'll PM the provisions I'm bringing.

Come hunt something that can fight back...

Oh ya FL is a Stand Your Ground state - 00:50 in the video below.... :love:

Last edited:
Reactions: Sgt Fury

Bigcountry40

I got lost in SC swamps once as well, I waded in water just above my waist and woods for like 4 hours in the dark. Worst feeling InThe world

Stressless

Keene, OH
I'm coming over with the intent of 90-100%stalk hunting, covering a ton of area to locate a couple sounders and then buckle down with the breeze in my face and hopefully sun behind or quartering.

Saw triple threat seafood is a couple miles from camp, gonna sling by and pick up a box of oysters on my in Fri and bring my shucking gear. Nothing better than some Jan-Feb fatties fresh from the bayou with a cold beer and warm fire at hand.

Like @Jackalope - I'm planning to stack'em up, lord willing. The fun thing with these hogs, the butchering goes really fast, the fat is delicious, bringing my gimbal and reciprocating saw... zip zip quarters ready for the smoker.