Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

FOG

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
So, I'm just passing the time here in the stand, and it kind of dawned on me, and to ask you all;

'Have any you had much success or seen decent deer movement while the weather condition being such, either mildly, or rather, real foggy out?'

I've been living in this creek valley for the past five years and we do get a lot of fog, especially after any decent rain from the evening before.

What I have noticed over the past five years around here, even though I have what I consider a decent size local deer herd, very seldom do I ever see any kind of deer movement during these type of foggy weather conditions.

Now, ten years ago, two counties over to the NE, I hunted some other private property that had a small creek valley, much smaller than ours today, and I used to catch deer moving there all the time while in the fog.

So, what gives? Or, what has your experience been like hunting deer during foggy type weather conditions?

Please share, thanks!

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
No takers, hmm, okay, I guess I'll make this my own thread then.

So, the fog just lifted at 9:20 a.m., shortly after the sun poked through.

The first deer shows up just 15 minutes later, from the creek bottom. A young eight.
20211112_093122.jpg

Then he passes right underneath me.

Only stopping briefly, then continues onward, and appears to be seeking.

20211112_093304.jpg

Not even a minute later, another young nine comes from the South, headed NE, towards the feed-station/house. Also, perhaps seeking or hungry, or perhaps both.

The local young bucks seem to be on the move now the sun has finally poked through from behind the fog this morning and the fog is now completely gone.

Rather typical for this area, which is based on my experience living here over the past five years.

EDIT: I attached a TC capture of the same buck that passed by me and reached the PLB at 9:33 a.m. Even from ground level, there was still some remanence of fog as you will see in the attachment.

Just another note I'll share...

I was much colder this morning during these foggy conditions with the outdoor temperature of the high 30's thru the low 40's and slight South wind than all of last week's days hunting the other farm with frost/freezing temperature conditions of the mid to high 20's each morning.

It's the damp humid air during these foggy weather conditions that cuts right through me, all the way straight to my bones.

Now the beautiful sun is warming me back up again, which feels absolutely wonderful!

Attachments

• WGI_0044.JPG
    WGI_0044.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited: