Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fried Deer Heart

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I never ate heart fried and we have been eating beef and pig heart for 60 odd years. I always followed my mom's method of boiling in salt water. Then let set over night in frig and eat cold dipped in vinegar. Tongue done the same way.
The wife and I had my deer heart this year the same way. Next time I'll try fried.

My mom always made liver slightly browned with flour, then bake done covered with purple plums. Took away the strong liver taste. Damn I miss that.

Buckmaster

Portage
I'm thawing out 5 deer hearts as I type.

One, will be thin sliced, marinated, breaded, and deep fried.
One, will be cored and stuffed with bacon, Stove Top, and cheese, then wrapped in bacon and oven baked.
Three, will be pickled deer heart, cold packed.

We'll see by the end of the weekend and into next....which one I like the best.

Buckmaster

Portage
This weekend I played with my meat again. I made 3 different varieties of deer heart as mentioned above.
I've consumed two of the three recipes so far.

Saturday I made fried deer heart. I began cleaning the heart, stripping, and vacuum sealing in Balsamic garlic vinegar marinate on Friday night. Saturday followed by egg dip mixed Tabasco, then Panko bread seasoning and into the deep fryer (peanut oil). The meat was very dark and tasty. It was a richer, deeper flavor of venison. I thought it was favorable.

Sunday afternoon I made pickled deer hearts. Those will need to marinate at least a week or so in the refrigerator before I'm able to try them.

Sunday evening I made stuffed deer heart. I stuffed it with swiss cheese and bacon, then wrapped it with bacon. To the oven it went set at 350 for 70 minutes. That turned out wonderful. The consistency and flavor reminded me of black bear. I'm having the other half of heart tonight for left overs.

Thus far baked deer heart is more favorable than fried deer heart and it's a little healthier too.

If my pickled deer heart comes out with favorable results I might try to purchase a beef heart for trial. If deer heart tastes like rich flavored bear meat....I'm wondering what beef heart tastes like....to be determined at a later time.

Attachments

• Fried Deer Heart.jpg
    Fried Deer Heart.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 181
  • Picked Deer Heart.jpg
    Picked Deer Heart.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 174
  • Heart 1.jpg
    Heart 1.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 171
  • Heart 2.jpg
    Heart 2.jpg