Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

From "back in the day"

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Went to a wild game dinner tonight with some friends and their dad. The dad used to have the gunshop that I spent a lot of time in as a kid. It was also the check station I used back in the day. The dad was going through some old photos he had and found this one that used to be in his shop. I didn't have any pictures of this any more so I'm really happy to get this.
My first buck from November 30th 1982, I was 19.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Reds????? Cool picture.... I see its not a TC hat on your head there Sam...... Alice. Chalmers????????
Not Red's, it was the "Sports Shack" next to Arrowhead lanes in Columbiana. Bill had a machine shop called "Arrowhead Kellering" that made stamping dies and in a couple of rooms in the back was the gunshop.

"J"

Bass fishing aficionado....
Supporting Member
Davie County, NC
Not Red's, it was the "Sports Shack" next to Arrowhead lanes in Columbiana. Bill had a machine shop called "Arrowhead Kellering" that made stamping dies and in a couple of rooms in the back was the gunshop.
Sam I remember the place but I don't think I was ever in it.... it closed after I left for the air force.....

"J"

Bass fishing aficionado....
Supporting Member
Davie County, NC
Apparently Sam's years equal dog years Jim lol.... Sam you still remember what they said about john Deere and Alice chalmers.....

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Shotgun, Ithaca 37 12 gauge smoothbore and IIRC Remington slugs.
Deer were pretty scarce in this part of the state back then, but I was lucky to be able to hunt a place close to home with good numbers of deer. Your tag was buck only but you could apply for a doe permit. You still could only kill one deer but with the permit you could kill either sex. I had a doe permit and earlier that day a herd of 8 does came past me but I was waiting for a buck. Late in the day I was siting next to a huge white oak and saw it sneaking though a ravine about 50 yards below me. I saw horn and shot. It has a forked G2 on the left side, I saw the fork and thought it was just a fork horn till it went down. I was aiming at the neck on the left side but the slug entered the right eye, he must have turned his head just as I shot, he dropped like a ton of bricks.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
OK. Guess
I'm the only mean spirited one... Sorry Sam.: :smiley_blackeye:
It is a great photo and a swell memory to rediscover. :smiley_coolpeace: