Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ginseng

P8riot

Carbon, In
Are these ginseng berries? It is confirmed that ginseng is in my county and my property has ideal conditions for it after reading about it, lots of ferns and a canopy that shades the dark woods around my property. I checked my trail cams and saw these red berries near the camera. They weren't attached to any plants so I could not identify the 5 leaf pattern, but the berries sure look like it. I could be sitting on a gold mine here!

1000015162.jpg
1000015161.jpg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
There’s a plant we always referred to as Indian Turnip that also has red berries like that. Usually grows in same areas as ginseng but looks total different having huge stalk and a couple 3 leafed leaves.

IMG_4530.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Hedgelj

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It is my opinion that is what you have there. In my experience Indian turnip berries stayed intact long after the stalk withered or died and ginseng berries fall off easier and earlier before plants turned all golden or began to wilt. You still might have ginseng as Indian turnip is a good indicator. Finding a 4 pronger with a huge cluster of red berries sticking a foot above a spread of golden leaves with some green is like finding a 70+ inch shed.