Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Goals: The Story of my First Trad Deer

Creamer

Athens
It took a while but I finally finished up my Euro mount. Next time, I'll gladly pay a professional to do it. Not a fan of the process!

Creamer

Athens
Looks great
what didn't like about the process?

I had some little limitations that made it harder to do, that caused most of the issues. My old pot wasn't quite deep enough to submerge the entire skull. Literally like 1" too shallow. So I had to switch the position of the skull often to try to boil all parts of it. Then my gas grill I was using to boil the water ran out of gas. I was pissed at that point and gave it a break. Later on, I found a bucket deep enough to submerge the entire thing and just soaked it. Then it was lots of scraping and brushing with a wire brush before I could bleach it. All told, I would have gladly paid a professional and said "Here, you do it" and avoided all the mess and frustration.

I use an old turkey fryer and a power washer. Still takes some scrubbing but it gets it pretty clean. I bought a kit from a taxidermy supply that is a liquid and powder that you mix into a paste to bleach them. All in all it is just a couple hours work and I really don't mind doing them.

Reactions: Creamer