Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Going Heavy this Year

I've changed my arrow set up to a heavier grains per inch and more weight forward. I was previously shooting a 335 grain total arrow weight with 100 grain tips that gave me a an 11% FOC.
I've changed to a 9 grains per inch arrow, 75 grain insert and a 125 grain tip weight. This gives me a 480 grain total arrow weight with a 16.3% FOC. :cool: These arrows fly like they're on a string to the target and hit hard. I've tested 2, 3 and 4 fixed blade (cut-on-contact) broadheads and they all hit the same POI, as my field tips. (y)
I like having my hunting rig ready to go, this early prior to the season. All I need is a shot! 🦌
Edit: This is being "launched" by my Obsession Fusion 7 at 56# and 29" draw length.

Anyone else shooting a similar heavy set up? :unsure:
Bowhunter57

Last edited:
I have seriously been considering the change after watching ranch fairy videos and thp!
whitetailjunky3,
It has been well worth the change, for me. (y) The heavier arrows fly like the old days of aluminum...on a string to the target. Plus, the broadheads fly to the same POI as the field tips. I'm all about getting a pass-thru shot on a deer. 2 holes are better than 1. 💯 I'm using Easton Axis 5mm 400 spine.

Bowhunter57

Reactions: whitetailjunky3
I posted this arrow setup on an Archery forum and they strongly advised going with a stiffer spine. 200 grains up front, on a 400 spine arrow makes it too weak, but the Easton Arrow Chart only mentions this in the details at the bottom of their chart. :rolleyes: Guess I need to read the fine print. Better safe, than sorry. I've seen carbon arrows blow up and shatter into someone's hand. 😲 Not a pretty picture. (n)

Anyway, I built another set of arrows in a Gold Tip Hunter XT 300 spine. 225 grains up front with a TAW of 525 grains, on a 28" arrow. 💯 I installed a 100 grain brass insert and am using a 125 grain tip weight.

I'll use the Easton arrows for 3D shoots....after I cut another 1 1/2" off, use a 20 grain aluminum insert and add a 100 grain field tip. I'm not concerning myself with those arrows, until next Spring. :)

Attachments

• GT 1.jpg
    GT 1.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 67
  • GT 2.jpg
    GT 2.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 69
  • GT 3.jpg
    GT 3.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 67
  • GT 4.jpg
    GT 4.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 70
I did some shooting this evening, with the newly fletched arrows and they're definitely more stable in flight, than the previous arrows. The stiffer spine made a huge difference. (y)
I shot my new Landshark broadheads, out to 30 yards. Wow! Not bad for a 1 5/8" cutting diameter 2 blade. 💯 I love how they fly and can't wait to see how they kill. :cool:

Bowhunter57

Attachments

• Landshark 1A.jpg
    Landshark 1A.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Landshark 1B.jpg
    Landshark 1B.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 68