Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gold

Jamie

Ohio
IMG_2223.jpg

Chanterelles are popping, finally. been checking my honey holes about every week or so since third week of June. this is about 10 lbs worth, and about 1/3 of what I carried home today. my back is fucking killing me from bending over to cut them for two hours straight! found all of these in one big patch exactly where I found them last year. this time last year when I found them at this spot they were done and drying up, some too old to cut. these are perfect and more coming.

Jamie

Ohio
my experience has been that they like mature woods with heavy canopy in areas that are well drained. both good bunches I've found this year have been on slightly higher ground. I don't think they like too much wet. some of my best spots were under water for weeks at a time this spring, and those places have not produced so far. they seem to associate often with mature Beech trees in several of my honey holes, but they grow everywhere. they are not difficult to see like a Morel, so if they are present, you won't have much trouble finding them. sometimes they are in big patches, sometimes they are scattered around sparsely over larger areas. I've never found any after the middle of August, so it's game on for the next couple of weeks.

Reactions: brock ratcliff

Jamie

Ohio
last year I found enough to eat on June 21, and found them in small concentrations until second week of August. only a couple of large patches of them in places where they are always plentiful. I've been looking since end of June, but didn't find any until last weekend, and that was just a couple of skillets full. now is the peak time, mid July to mid August, and it has always been in my spots. I did see some that were dried up in the middle of September while I was hanging a tree stand. all of my places are in central Ohio. I've heard they are found into October if conditions are right, but I've never seen any that late.

Bowkills

Nw oh
I looked up a post from last year and compared it to an old post of yours I was going to wait till August 1st but I'll be looking this weekend thanks!!!!

Jamie

Ohio
had a helper today, which makes for a less painful fungus cutting excursion. we found and cut about 15lbs in two hours this afternoon. nice way to spend an EQ on a Friday in late July. The little reddish ones in the foreground are called Cinnabar mushrooms, they are a variety of Chanterelle that I have never seen before this year. found a small patch of them yesterday adjacent to the big patch I cut, but wasn't sure what they were, so I left them. looked it up, and they are just as edible, but are much smaller. found them in three different places today, so we cut the largest of them for a taste test. they are quite small compared to average Golden Chanterelle.
IMG_2224.jpg

tomorrow most of these are going to the canner. I'll hand pick enough to eat for a few days, but this is a great start to my winter supply. prime time, fellas. go get the while the gettin's good.

Jamie

Ohio
don't really have any of those type of pics. plenty of stuff on youtube about hunting Chanterelles. if you are looking for them, they don't really hide from you very well. bright yellow mushrooms in a sea of green and brown. not that you can't walk past them, but if they are up, you can see them.

Jamie

Ohio
gold reserves. :)

aside from a few skillets worth I hand picked to eat for the next few days, all those mushrooms made 21 tightly packed pints. one jar broke in the canner for no good reason. these on top of the 34 half pints I still have from last year means that I'll probably only put up another 15 pints or so. I pint a week is more than we need.

IMG_2225.jpg

Reactions: giles and Sgt Fury

Jamie

Ohio
not easy to get a good pic of these where they sit. I trimmed some of the grass and weeds and stuff away so you could at least see some of them. found these this morning at my property after I got done mowing. couldn't find any last year over there, so it was nice to find a decent patch on my place. not a big bunch of them, but a nice patch of really big, clean, pretty mushrooms. nicest ones I've found this year so far.

IMG_2228.jpg

Bowkills

Nw oh
? When after a rain is it ideal to go looking? A day, two days, 3 days? We were extremely dry until last night and had little shroomige in the woods of any kind. Otta be a boom of them now.

Jamie

Ohio
Bowkills, I'd give it a few days, but keep looking in other places.

Nancy and I found another big bunch of Chanterelles plus a really nice flush of Oyster mushrooms. I've never cut Oyster mushrooms before, but I won't pass them up again. fuggin delicious. that's about 15lbs of Chants. we could have brought home 5 times more Oysters, but having never cooked and eaten them, didn't want to bother until I'm sure we can both eat them without issue. I hope they don't disagree with me because they are really good. I simply sautéed them in butter to try them for the first time. if they are no ill effects, I'll be quite excited to cook with them again.

IMG_2318.jpg

slightly better pic of a small cluster of nice, prime Chanterelles
IMG_2232.JPG

IMG_2317.jpg

Bowkills

Nw oh
Bowkills, I'd give it a few days, but keep looking in other places.

Nancy and I found another big bunch of Chanterelles plus a really nice flush of Oyster mushrooms. I've never cut Oyster mushrooms before, but I won't pass them up again. fuggin delicious. that's about 15lbs of Chants. we could have brought home 5 times more Oysters, but having never cooked and eaten them, didn't want to bother until I'm sure we can both eat them without issue. I hope they don't disagree with me because they are really good. I simply sautéed them in butter to try them for the first time. if they are no ill effects, I'll be quite excited to cook with them again.

View attachment 83458
slightly better pic of a small cluster of nice, prime Chanterelles
View attachment 83459
View attachment 83460
thanks I'd like to can some to eat this winter I got my dehydrator going yesterday.