Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Good day in the stand

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well went out early and got in the stand around 0645 dead calm at first and lots of frost. Birds started first then the squirrels started next and then the turkeys started had me looking all over the place for them lol. Well about 0800 a buck made his way past me about 100 yards in front of me, gave hom the can call and he started looking for the source and made a big loop around me (love the smoker) then when he couldn't find the source he walked by at 15 yards and didn't have a clue I was there. He meandered around for about 5 minutes then walked the way he came in. Pretty cool to see him up close and personal lol. He was a small racked six point but had some size to the body. Then about an hour later I saw movement from the same direction the six point came from and to my surprise a pibald buck came by never came closer and stayed a hundred or so yards away. Very cool to say the least, dots the first one I've ever seen while on stand. It went out of sight and I settled back in and got comfy and just scanned the woods for the next hour when I catch movement again and it's the piebald coming around for round two lol. He got to about 50 yards this time and even if he offered a shot I probably wouldn't of taken it. He was a small basket rack eight but weighed around a hundred pounds looked like he might be a year and a half old but scronny. I watched h mill around for about forty minutes and lost sight of him looking away at something making noises behind me and looked ba k and he was gone into a swamp behind me. Well I kinda kept a lookout for him in that area but never did see him again. Saw a doe right before I got down and she was all by herself Nd nothing around looking at her so really was a little diappointed to not see something trailing her. Oh well that was my day hope y'all had a good one as well. Downing some coffee to warm myself up and got some things to dk around the house and will be back at it in the am.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Sounds like a good day indeed. It's always a thrill getting that close to a deer, and them not even having a clue that you're there. These cold mornings should help in putting some good deer on the ground. Hope they stick around for next week too!!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Sounds like a good day indeed. It's always a thrill getting that close to a deer, and them not even having a clue that you're there. These cold mornings should help in putting some good deer on the ground. Hope they stick around for next week too!!

Sounds like you had a pretty cool hunt!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Yeah the morning went good, got home and put on the coffee and had it halfway down and oh oh of to the throne puking my guts out!!!! Shivering so bad I can hardly type, the worse thing about it is the military requires a flu shot every fall..... Got mine in sept and have had the flu twice now.... sob if I don't feel better in the morning vacation just turned into sick time!!!!!! Flu shot my butt!!!!!! Dang placiebo (sp).... Good day gone to crap, speaking of which see yah!!!!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Worthless shots lol.... Wish I didn't have to get them.... Oh well 4 more shots then I retire lol

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Sounds like it was a great morning sit J. I wouldn't mind seeing a piebald buck definitely something you don't see everyday.

Sorry to hear your afternoon didn't go so well. Looks like it's time for the " BRAT" diet plan. Hope ya feel better soon so you can get back after it J.

I also hope you get a crack at the piebald buck. If memory serves me they usually don't grow real big racks so that 8pts. might be all he can muster up.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Thanks Redcloud. I honestly don't know if I'd shoot it if it got in range. Cool to see but without a full body mount I couldn't do it justice... But if it gets closer then today I will shoot a picture lol

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Thanks Redcloud. I honestly don't know if I'd shoot it if it got in range. Cool to see but without a full body mount I couldn't do it justice... But if it gets closer then today I will shoot a picture lol

Some deer just look better in Pictures rather then on the wall :D. If you get a chance at a pic I would love to see it sometime J. Good luck buddy and hope you feel better soon.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Some deer just look better in Pictures rather then on the wall :D. If you get a chance at a pic I would love to see it sometime J. Good luck buddy and hope you feel better soon.

Thanks Red, feel better already going to hit the stand all afternoon. Hope they're moving today, would be nice to see the big boy come through if not just to see him. He's been seen twice this year and none by me lol.