Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Good sign or bad sign

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Did a little pre season wingshooting warm up on some pigeons in a wheat field yesterday . One of the first ones I shot had a Racing pigeon band . I'm not sure of it's a sign of good luck to come or if I'm doomed to not shoot another band all yr . Time will tell
IMG_20180823_181736263.jpg

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Honest mistake. You can probably contact the owner via the info on the band and tell him not to be expecting this one to come home anytime soon. Those guys probably wonder what happens to them when they don’t come back and at least in this case, he would know why.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Yeah . Look up ARPU . These ones are coming out of a heifer barn and spend alot of time in manure . I have no prob cleaning and eating a pigeon bit when they smell of manure I draw the line .

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
If they are out flying around a field they aren't racing anymore and have went wild . At that point they aren't gonna return so they're no use to the owners anyway .

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I shot one of my feeder a couple years ago and found that it had a band. It was from the motor city racing club in Detroit. I sent them an email as well as reported it through their national racing pigeon website that their bird feeder loafer wasn't returning. I froze it and was going to have it mounted on a piece of driftwood cupped up with his feet out to show off his bling to make fun of you waterfowl guys. Lol.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Guy I know gives me pigeons for dog training. He's into racing and owns hundreds of birds. All the washouts he gives away... the ones that won't amount to good racing birds. His one requirement is that they don't leave my property alive. Lol. Because they always come home.

And I've raised quite a few pigeons of my own too. Put bands on their legs just so I can tell some of them apart. So a band on a leg doesn't necessarily mean it's a racing bird. Could just be a reject dog training bird that got away from a dude who sucks at wingshooting. :ROFLMAO: