Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Goose Calling Sample

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Sounds good dude. Wish I could do that! I have had one hell of a time getting any sound out of my single-reed goose call. I can use a flute, but not the single reed...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds good dude. Wish I could do that! I have had one hell of a time getting any sound out of my single-reed goose call. I can use a flute, but not the single reed...

I think duck and goose calling is an art. I dont think I could ever get to calling like some of those guys do

Thanks, fellers. As with everything else, it just takes a LOT of practice. This time of year, my calls are around my neck whenever I'm not at work. I keep them in my truck at all times too... that's where I do the majority of practicing. My wife would divorce me pretty quick if I hammered the goose call at home all the time LOL.

Jesse, I've heard the hardest thing to do in calling is to go from a goose flute to a short reed call. The flutes just have a way of giving you bad habits, because there are so many different ways you can blow them with relative effectiveness. Whereas there is only one, maybe two, ways to blow a short reed call. But once you figure it out, a short reed will out-call a flute any day of the week... whether it be on stage or in the field... they just sound goosey.

MorganD

Practice does make perfect or so I've heard. I've had really good luck with both double and single reed duck calls but my challenge has been goose call 101. I work hard on getting a decent cluck and haven't moved further. I'm using a Knight and Hale magnum clucker. ?? Could be my problem. ?? I've only tried the goose hunting the past 4 years and have done mainly jump shooting. My duck hunting has always been jump shooting out of two local rivers and several ponds and one small lake. Untill I tried calling geese I thought the hardest part about shooting geese or ducks for that matter, was scouting.. Now I try to get into decoying and the calling has me way off kilter in my progress.

Question(s): Do you guys use a a single call more often than not, such as clucks and moans? I know it's a loaded question but could you recommend using a short reed call over say a flute to gian some experience as to getting the sounds or should I get one good short reed call (goose) and start with one sound, the cluck for instance, get that down and move on as I've been trying with the magnum clucker?
Picking one type of call and one sound worked for me when I started turkey hunting in what seems like a lifetime ago and thats why I was trying to do that with the goose call. Hense, a simple, non exspensive call and trying to master it.
Any and all replays would be a help fellas.
(Great info Mr. Matt)

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Practice does make perfect or so I've heard. I've had really good luck with both double and single reed duck calls but my challenge has been goose call 101. I work hard on getting a decent cluck and haven't moved further. I'm using a Knight and Hale magnum clucker. ?? Could be my problem. ?? I've only tried the goose hunting the past 4 years and have done mainly jump shooting. My duck hunting has always been jump shooting out of two local rivers and several ponds and one small lake. Untill I tried calling geese I thought the hardest part about shooting geese or ducks for that matter, was scouting.. Now I try to get into decoying and the calling has me way off kilter in my progress.

Question(s): Do you guys use a a single call more often than not, such as clucks and moans? I know it's a loaded question but could you recommend using a short reed call over say a flute to gian some experience as to getting the sounds or should I get one good short reed call (goose) and start with one sound, the cluck for instance, get that down and move on as I've been trying with the magnum clucker?
Picking one type of call and one sound worked for me when I started turkey hunting in what seems like a lifetime ago and thats why I was trying to do that with the goose call. Hense, a simple, non exspensive call and trying to master it.
Any and all replays would be a help fellas.
(Great info Mr. Matt)

As far as calling while hunting goes, the situation is going to determine which type of notes you produce. That's the real challenge of calling ducks and geese... figuring out which sounds are appropriate for the given situation. In goose calling, clucks are going to be the basis for everything. If you can cluck, you can kill geese. Moans mixed in with the clucks and double-clucks are deadly. Trying to teach someone how to read the birds is pretty difficult to do. That's just something you acquire over the years of hunting and observing live geese. The spit note and the quick-spit are definitely notes that you should try to learn, though. These are aggressive notes, typically made be sentry geese on the ground that are trying to intimidate the oncoming flocks to the field. When you have a flock of geese coming into your spread and they're about 80-100 yds out, start hammering on them with some spit notes and they'll drop right on you. It's a tricky note, though, so you'll have to practice quite a bit to really get it. Youtube.com is a great resource for instructional calling and tips.

I'm not familiar with any of the Knight and Hale goose calls, as I'm a diehard Zink Calls guy. I can tell you this, though... when it comes to goose calls, you really do get what you pay for. High-end calls sound much more realistic and IMO are a bit easier to operate. It's my belief that you can call in ducks with a walmart special just as good as you could with a 150 duck call... but when it comes to goose calls, you just can't substitute for the performance of a high end call. Hope this helps man.

Matt

Norton, OH
Stuff I have read (no real hunting experience for me yet) is that until you get good at calling and know how to read birds, less is more. Ducks and geese.

Geezer

*Hims a Super Moderator*
Stuff I have read (no real hunting experience for me yet) is that until you get good at calling and know how to read birds, less is more. Ducks and geese.

Here how dey souns = pfffffffffft - pffffffffffoooooont - pfffffffffffoppppnt - ppfffffffffft= pfffffffffffffft fooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooootzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:smiley_breakdance:

MorganD

That makes perfect sense to me Jbrown! I started out with a knight and Hale double reed duck call, went to a Buck Gardner, Foulmouth. Both do very well for me. ( and don't sound off by much as to tone and pitch) The goose call issue, of getting the Knight and Hale was because I didn't know any better. It's probably me but I just can't get the thing to sound right.
In Mack's Prairie Wings 2010 catalog they have (Zink calls) a Power Goose Pak, with a Power Clucker PC-1. The package comes with a base instructional dvd, and the call for just under 30$ I'll give it a try.

Geezer, Thats what I sound like now but it's not good enough!! LOL

I appreciate the help!!!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That makes perfect sense to me Jbrown! I started out with a knight and Hale double reed duck call, went to a Buck Gardner, Foulmouth. Both do very well for me. ( and don't sound off by much as to tone and pitch) The goose call issue, of getting the Knight and Hale was because I didn't know any better. It's probably me but I just can't get the thing to sound right.
In Mack's Prairie Wings 2010 catalog they have (Zink calls) a Power Goose Pak, with a Power Clucker PC-1. The package comes with a base instructional dvd, and the call for just under 30$ I'll give it a try.

Geezer, Thats what I sound like now but it's not good enough!! LOL

I appreciate the help!!!

That's an excellent starting point, man. I use a Power Clucker every now and then, and it is a damn good call for the price. Getting the instructional DVD is definitely a bonus. Just practice like a wild man and you'll get it... once creating each note becomes second nature, stringing them together will be a piece of cake. Remember to start out slowly... work on the individual notes and get proficient with each one... the speed will come in time.