Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Goose & Dove opener

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Gonna be a hot one out there tomorrow! Good luck and be safe to those who are gonna be out tomorrow.

It looks like Friday is gonna be the earliest chance that I get to chase some honkers. Can't wait to get out, but hunting in this heat always sucks!!

Matt

Norton, OH
Good luck fellas. Might try to get out in the afternoon tomorrow, then again this weekend for Teal and Goose also. Public blind at Mogadore next week. Been seeing a TON of doves up here too, but with this new waterfowl habit, I don't think I will look much for them. ;)

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Good luck fellas. Might try to get out in the afternoon tomorrow, then again this weekend for Teal and Goose also. Public blind at Mogadore next week. Been seeing a TON of doves up here too, but with this new waterfowl habit, I don't think I will look much for them. ;)

I was traveling up that way last week for work. Looked to be good amounts of geese in the area. Good luck & post up some pics after you wack'em

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Good luck Sean. I'm gonna head out for geese on Saturday if all goes well. Never done any dove hunting, don't see many around here...

Oh man.... dove hunting is an absolute blast if you get on a good spot with birds moving. There's nothing like laughing your azz off at your buddies for missing, only to follow up with wiff after wiff of your own. Those little buggers are like fighter jets and I swear they can dodge shot sometimes.

Good luck out there this weekend, whatever you get yourself in to!!

Matt

Norton, OH
I had no luck yesterday. I had a flock land in a pond that is about 150 yards behind me. No goose movement until about 10 minutes before quittin time then I heard a few flocks. By that time I was already packin it in. On a good note, I was absolutely COVERED in wood ducks. Probably gonna let that spot sit until October. I so bad want a pair of wood ducks to get mounted. I have a guy who will do it for me for just the cost of materials.

Question: will geese avoid a pond that is completely greened over with duck weed?

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Question: will geese avoid a pond that is completely greened over with duck weed?

The pond in my avatar picture is usually covered in duck weed the first part of the season, and we've killed geese there during all parts of the season. So I'd have to say no, they won't avoid it. That's only based one this particular spot though....