Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Groundhog Population?

As of this morning, I have shot groundhog #22. (y) I've not shot 22 g-hogs in the last 20 years. It would appear that the population has increased in recent years. :unsure:
Most of them have been with my Savage 22-250, using 55 gr. Hornady V-Max bullets at 3700 fps. The suppressor makes it much easier to hear the bullet smack them. 😁 I've been wanting to take my Savage 17HMR, for the closer shots....inside 100 yards. I don't like letting them get away and that's the reason for my hesitation of taking it. Well, this morning I figured I'd give it a go. As it turns out, this cartridge has restored my confidence in its' killing power. :sneaky: I shot this male at 90 yards and he dropped on the spot with the evidence in his mouth. :cool: (Hornady ammo with 20 gr. bullets.)
G-Hog Savage 17.jpg

I am seeing more this year also
Does this mean coyotes are on the decline?
I am also seeing red fox around here now and they have been absent for awhile🤷🏻‍♂️
We can only hope that the coyote population is on the decline. (y)

Mother Nature can be a cruel bitch with replacement predators. :cautious: I just hope bobcats are not on the increase and replacing the coyotes. :mad: I know an avid coyote hunter in Ross County that says anytime he's out calling coyotes and a bobcat shows up, he just pulls up his gear and relocates. :rolleyes: There will be no coyotes showing up, after a bobcat appears.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
We can only hope that the coyote population is on the decline. (y)

Mother Nature can be a cruel bitch with replacement predators. :cautious: I just hope bobcats are not on the increase and replacing the coyotes. :mad: I know an avid coyote hunter in Ross County that says anytime he's out calling coyotes and a bobcat shows up, he just pulls up his gear and relocates. :rolleyes: There will be no coyotes showing up, after a bobcat appears.
I think it is bobcats..... at least in some areas. I haven't heard coyotes nearly as much as I used to.

Groundhogs seem to be about the same as every year here on the farm. I'm making a dent on all the ones dumb enough to come within sight of my house.

What suppressor are you using on your 22-250 or 17hmr?

Reactions: Bowhunter57
I used a Form 1 and made it with parts I ordered from a Solvent Trap company, in Oregon. It's a 10" titanium can with titanium end caps and stainless steel spacers and cones for the internals. I built it for my .243, so that I could use it on my 22-250 and 17HMR. It really knocks the sound down on the 17HMR and makes the 22-250 and 243 sound like a 22 Short Rimfire....but more tolerable. :)(y)

I've shot at and missed a coyote and have had them run in my direction, because they couldn't determine where the sound originated. :sneaky:

Reactions: Hedgelj

SNIPERBBB

Se ohio
I think it is bobcats..... at least in some areas. I haven't heard coyotes nearly as much as I used to.

Groundhogs seem to be about the same as every year here on the farm. I'm making a dent on all the ones dumb enough to come within sight of my house.

This time of year you should NOT be hearing coyotes. They generally go silent when they have pups till about mid August or so when the pups start hunting with their parents.

Reactions: Bowhunter57