Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Groundhog Survivor....what happens?

I've seen this happen so many times over the years of hunting groundhogs and I've always wondered what happens. 🙃
I'll spot a g-hog hole(s) and there are 4 g-hogs wondering around it. So, I shoot 3 of them and the 4th one escapes into his hole. I sit there for an hour waiting for the last one to peek out and see what's going on, but it never shows up. I leave and come back over the next several days to check on the 4th g-hog, but never see it. It's like it relocates or something. 🙄

What's your best guess or theory on what becomes of the last groundhog survivor? 🤔

Change your shooting location by a 100 yards or so. See if a different angle will throw him off. If he’s still around.
One of the areas that I hunt, the farmer that lives there says he's not seen any groundhogs at either location. (y) My best guess is that they relocate. :unsure: It's not like they're still being seen or a matter of me being spotted. They're just not there any more....which is a good thing.

I suppose if a person really wanted to know, I'd have to put up a trail camera to actually see them leave. I don't care enough to be bothered, but have always been curious as to "what happens". As long as they're not eating the soy beans or digging under any buildings, I'm good. :)

Reactions: Hedgelj

ThatBuckeyeGuy

Ohio
Usually after a few weeks of extreme thinning I do notice they'll move to the fence and brush lines so I'll switch and set up on them. After that they move into the woods that's after several kills . This is solely an observation of the few places I hunt them at .

Reactions: Bowhunter57

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
IMG_4697.jpeg