Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Groundhog Tips and Tricks

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Any advice on when the best time to find em hanging around and what they like to eat.

I alomst got the one in my backyard. He was around for a while, and then he was seconds from death and jumped in his hole, and I ahvent seen him since.

I have been trying bread to lure him out.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Toss some corn, beans, or leafy greens out there and wait for him. They tend to come out more in the early mornings and late evenings. I have found some out in the middle of the day if they get cold or hungry. If you scare one back in his hole just sit near by as silent and still as can be..he will come back out in about an hour unless it is late evening. Late evening runners tend to just hole up and wait till morning before coming back out.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
My luck has been tough on homefront chucks. You scare them, you may not see them for days, possibly weeks. They normally have multiple holes. I never fugg around with one on my property. 7mm mag., makes a mess but they never get back in their hole. First chance I get I kill them, them figure out the game real quick.

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
after a nice little rain they will be out eatting since they don't drink water they get their water off and from the plants.....since its late in the summer they will be out alot getting all fat and sassy for the winter. I have seen alot of them out mid day lately. If you let them get back in a routine for a while they will stick to that routine and you can set your watch by that. Whenever I see one I make sure to write down the time they were out and come back in a day or two to get a shot at them.