Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Grouse hunting in Ohio

Some of you know that I raised pheasants for a few years and released them around my house.
I have never seen one since releasing them but do get a few neighbors that say they see one every now and again. No way to know if it was one of mine.

From all the research I have done says that a pheasant bird hatched in an incubator will never hatch a clutch of eggs. They will not build a nest and sit on eggs. I have no idea if this is true or not. Now if some pen raised birds were able to find a wild population that may help.

PA tried several wild pheasant recovery areas by bringing in wild birds. Here is the conclusion. https://www.pgc.pa.gov/Wildlife/Wil...Documents/WPRA_Recommendations_2019_Final.pdf

At the beginning of the WPRA project, some expected spectacular success, others complete failure. In the end, neither extremes proved correct. With the success of the Washingtonville West study area reaching population density goals, it has been proven that wild pheasants can be restored to huntable levels through intense habitat management within a landscape containing a low proportion of forest cover. Conversely the other 11 study areas did not see this success although several are continuing to see a population that is steady to increasing at lower densities. Clearly, wild birds are more successful than pen-raised pheasants at maintaining themselves on the landscape in the absence of stocking, but they can only truly thrive where extensive suitable habitat is available. The mixed results speak to the reality of providing habitat in working lands of Pennsylvania. It is unlikely that Pennsylvania will ever support the wild pheasant numbers it did in the late 1960’s and early 1970’s. However, with continued dedication from private landholders, Pheasants Forever, and state and federal agencies it is possible to maintain localized populations of wild pheasants providing unique, valuable hunting and viewing opportunities.

tracker 6

In a thicket
Grouse aren't a bird that's suitable for stocking . Too wild. blizzards aren't a big deal for grouse ,they burrow under the snow to stay warm and
To finish my thoughts,eat tree buds . grouse are declining over their range for the most part , ,but Ohio's pop. just went off a cliff in the last decade . West Nile Virus , habitat , who knows what else . They may come back with habitat improvement , but they damn sure won't without it .

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You're all missing the boat. Habitat loss, predators, pesticides, management techniques... all play a role. But today, the biggest threat to ruffed grouse is actually West Nile Virus. Even in areas of ideal habitat manipulation (which does happen in some parts of Ohio, despite popular belief) the grouse population continues to decline because of WNV. It's not just a problem in Ohio. It's happening all over the midwest.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Back in 75 I used to get a few grouse up here in NE Ohio but Ohio don't care about management unless there is $$ Tag on it. I had a state worker tell me long time ago that Ohio won't use a chainsaw and if you go up to Wisconsin or Mic you will see workers planting poplar seedlings & other plants along the " logging roads and spreading gravel" easy to walk with dog casting about and this cover & gravel holds birds. We need a hunting governor that will get some of those lazyass prisoners out there and cut the trees down, make furniture to help pay their keep and give them a reduced sentence if they stay good.
We actually do have a "hook and bullet" supporting Governor in Ohio. Send prisoners out to the woods to cut a bunch of trees??? Dude, are you serious? Do you even understand the level of planning and implementation that's necessary to execute a successful timber stand improvement? Bringing grouse back to Ohio isn't as simple as cutting trees down and spreading gravel in the woods.

As a old grouse hunter and owner of many German shorthairs 1970- 2020 I used to hunt Grouse in NE Ohio Ashtabula county and shot at least one or two every time out along a creek that wandered up to a wall of grapevines and alway had many grouse tracks nearby. Then Turkey tracks started showing up and within a few years NO MORE GROUSE TRACKS! I and other old grouse hunters do point to those ugly birds that have taken over the habitat and food that grouse used to feed on and live in. I do not believe those turkeys are native born and have been stocked from some other country like the carp that has taken over the likes and rivers. Two (male & female) carp was introduced in the Hudson River by some well meaning doctor that said they were good eating back in the 1800's and I think the same senecio has taken place with turkeys the are four times bigger and eat the same thing as the grouse and you can only shoot one turkey as used to get shots at three grouse a day.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
As a old grouse hunter and owner of many German shorthairs 1970- 2020 I used to hunt Grouse in NE Ohio Ashtabula county and shot at least one or two every time out along a creek that wandered up to a wall of grapevines and alway had many grouse tracks nearby. Then Turkey tracks started showing up and within a few years NO MORE GROUSE TRACKS! I and other old grouse hunters do point to those ugly birds that have taken over the habitat and food that grouse used to feed on and live in. I do not believe those turkeys are native born and have been stocked from some other country like the carp that has taken over the likes and rivers. Two (male & female) carp was introduced in the Hudson River by some well meaning doctor that said they were good eating back in the 1800's and I think the same senecio has taken place with turkeys the are four times bigger and eat the same thing as the grouse and you can only shoot one turkey as used to get shots at three grouse a day.
I can’t take any of your opinions seriously. So you’re now saying that we don’t have grouse because we have wild turkeys??? Let’s get real. That’s a reflection of habitat type. Turkeys prefer mature timber, grouse do not. What do we currently have in Ohio?... maturing forests and less early successional habitat. What’s that mean? Uhhh.... more turkeys than grouse. Michigan still has grouse. They also have a shit-ton of turkeys on the landscape. WAY more than Ohio.

Bigcountry40

I can’t take any of your opinions seriously. So you’re now saying that we don’t have grouse because we have wild turkeys??? Let’s get real. That’s a reflection of habitat type. Turkeys prefer mature timber, grouse do not. What do we currently have in Ohio?... maturing forests and less early successional habitat. What’s that mean? Uhhh.... more turkeys than grouse. Michigan still has grouse. They also have a shit-ton of turkeys on the landscape. WAY more than Ohio.
Jim have you heard anything about this cover crop that could sustain pheasant populations over the winter, do you think that is ever realistic?

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
From the reading I have done over the years it isn't as much a particular cover crop it's just having adequate cover crops.

South Dakota, North Dakota and Iowa all have a much better pheasant population and they all have harsher winter's than Ohio. I believe it's more about the fact that adequate habitat has been destroyed in Ohio. Fence row removal probably being one of the biggest issues.

These are just my opinions though.

Reactions: jagermeister

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Jim have you heard anything about this cover crop that could sustain pheasant populations over the winter, do you think that is ever realistic?
I have not. With pheasants, and quail for that matter, food isn’t really the issue. It’s lack of security cover. Birds have to travel too far while being exposed to predators. Predation overrides food availability in most cases.

Chass

The Hills
Apologies in advance for more hearsay information but arent our grasses completely different from what they used to be? I dont know the exact terminology but what I have heard recently is our common grasses and cover isnt what it used to be. It used to be either the grasses were bunched together at the roots or the opposite of this which created better habitat and security cause the polts could maneuver almost under the grases between the bunches instead of on top practical grass mats and become easy pickings from predators.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Apologies in advance for more hearsay information but arent our grasses completely different from what they used to be? I dont know the exact terminology but what I have heard recently is our common grasses and cover isnt what it used to be. It used to be either the grasses were bunched together at the roots or the opposite of this which created better habitat and security cause the polts could maneuver almost under the grases between the bunches instead of on top practical grass mats and become easy pickings from predators.
Open pockets at the base of the cover is ideal. Think of like tunnels for the chicks to run in. Open underneath, closed up above. Most grasses these days, especially warm season grasses the state like to push for CRP, is just the opposite... super dense at the base and open at the top. It’s not great for upland birds.

Im not the only one that thinks turkeys have done damage to the grouse population and some old farm boys will tell you that ol tom will chase you out of the yard as it became his territory ! There are also reports that turkeys will destroy grouse nests. Looks like I'm talking to a WTF member.. Gp