Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

head to head

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
moultre vs. primos

last week I checked my trailcams. one moultre one primos. both had sat for 2 weeks.
the moultre took several pics. in every one was some type of critter. deer, turkey, birds, squirrels...

the primos however took 3 pics of a doe the day after it was set up on a pinch point and then nothing for 6 days. after that I got 120 pics of blowing grass.

Had to wonder. how was it that the primos cam is so sensetive it will take that many pics of moving weeds, but wouldnt take any pics of those same weeds for the first 6 days? and how was it that only 1 deer moved through a pinch point in one location while not far away I was getting traffic almost daily?

I decided to do a little experiment. I set up both cams in a well used area, side by side.
the results after one week are ..

on july 4th both cams took a pic at 6:26 pm. ( the clock on the primos is an hour fast, daylight savings)

couldnt tell what it was on the primos untill I saw the pic on the moultre

on july 7th the moultre took this

nothing on the primos

on july 8th the primos took this one

the moultre took a picture but the deer had already moved past the camera. as you can see by the blur she was in a hurry.

on july8th at 9:11 pm both cams caught this

again, the moultre seems to be lagging

during the course of the week the moultre took quite a few pics with nothing in them, after reviewing the results I am wondering if there was something moving and the camer delay allowed whatever it was to move on before the shutter snapped and the primos didnt even catch it.

another factor involved was battery life. I put batteries in both cams at the same time a couple months ago. the primos is almost dead while the moultre is still at 75%. could be that the primos takes more pictures but most of them are of nothing.

after 1 week there is still no clear advantage to either brand. the primos seems to miss a lot of pics, takes pics of nothing and burns batteries. while the moultres shutter speed seems a little slow.

Will be putting fresh batteries in both cams and try again. this time for 2 weeks. will let you know what comes from that.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
interesting results there. Wasn't expecting that. Couple more weeks and I will have a different brand to try out side by side as well. Not even going to try a battery vs. battery though..my Primos will loose lol.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I did the same thing with a sponsorship camera from Predator Trail cams.... Stuck a Predator IR on video mode and a Predator XP on Picture mode, one over top the other and had a 160+" buck come in to 30 yards while sitting in my stand and couldnt shoot bc he was facing me! Been chaising him for 4.5 yrs, trust me I wanted to shoot but it wasnt ethical and I have alot more respect for the animal! Either way the IR took 3 great video clips and the XR never came out of sleep mode the whole 20 mins he stood there. I filmed him the whole time with my Canon as well so it makes for great video but I was VERY disappointed with the cameras so needless to say i sent them back. This was when they told me they were having alot of issues bc they were being made in China and not at the WIsc. shop anymore..... Quit sending out shit overseas, plain and simple..... Cost me a 160" buck if I would of only had the XP out!
Here the video clip

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
both cams back in place with fresh batteries and memory cards. will leave soak for about 2 weeks and see what happens.

Did you sneak out late afternoon and get it all setup ?

I did sneak out and made a B-line to my cam checked it and BACK to the truck. It was HOTTTTT out there lol. leave it until next weekend and see if any other bucks show up on it.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
well two weeks is up. results are in...

on the tenth a doe showed up and hung around for a while. the moultre took a picture of her every minute for 5 minutes. the primos on the other hand took one three shot burst which was whited out, couldnt even tell what it was. on the same date at 11 oclock, a racoon and a possum payed a visit. the moultre took several photos for a span of about 30 minutes. the primos didnt take a single pic.

on the thirteenth both cams took a pic of a racoon at 5:30 am

on the 14th the moultre caught a doe at 3:20 am. the primos, again, missed it.

on the 16th, both cams caught this fellow

he hung around for a while and the moultre kept shooting, the primos had a few decent pics of him but half of them were so dark it was difficult to make out what it was.

the same buck made another appearance on the 17th, the moultre saw him but the primos did not.

on the 22nd the primos actually caught a pic that the moultre did not...

... looked like a leaf in front of the camera.

so after three weeks i have to say, the moultre seems to be a better camera.
the primos misses shots and has a lot of white outs and dark shots.

I would like to continue to use the primos im just not sure how useful it will be for patterning the deer.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
i think he is a six I let walk last year.

he dosen look like the 10 I had shopwing up last year his brows are shorter.

If I see him this year, hes dead.:smiley_devil: