Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hedgelj 2023-24

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Tuesday, no shit there i was smoking a cigar to finish up my disappointing morning in the turkey woods. Not a gobble had been hard for going on the second day. I had called in a hen who almost walked into me while walking through a multi flora rose bush, that was exciting for a few seconds. Then i called and heard a distant gobble. I was sitting at the yellow x on the left of the photo. I could tell it was aways from me but wasn’t sure which side of the two lane state Route nearby it was on.

I hesitated for a few second what to do. It was almost 1115, so there wasn’t much time so i decided to make a move because it was the first opportunity of the week i had had I moved to the middle X and called again. I heard a not as distant gobble and knew he was in the other side of the state Route. It was almost 1130 so i had to move and quick.

I moved to the final x and set up after dropping some extra gear off. He immediately responded, so i called again, he gobbled back and closer this time. I stared ranging landmarks so i would know my zone of opportunity to shoot. At 1150 he appeared at the top of the pasture and followed that approximate red line. He stalled out and i gave a few clucks and he was running down the hill towards me. As he went behind a tree a set my phone on my knee (alarm set for 1200 on vibrate) and pulled up my shotgun. He came down slowly obviously looking for the hen. He got inside 60 yards and i got my phone to see the time 1157. He took a few more steps and was behind a tree. I pulled up and safety was off for when he came around the tree. He appeared right next to and behind a fence post i had ranged at 52 yards. I squeezed the trigger and he flew off. Then my phone began to buzz.

All the fun, none of the mess, hopefully i get to hunt him again. Over 1200 yards hiked in under 30 minutes, it was fun

Screenshot_20230427_110418_Maps.jpg

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
The live from the stand that has me thinking of what all i need to accomplish.

I need to put trail cams out and check on stands and buildings for chairs and needed accessories (safety lines).

My main gun has a loose scope base so that needs pulled off and i need to mount the scope and zero the new one i got for my daughter.

Maybe this Sunday?

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Youth season 23
20231118_055757.jpg

Shortly after shooting light a small dink 6 pt came through to work the scrape near us.
20231118_065414.jpg

20231118_070830.jpg
IMG_20231118_073042.jpg

I'm with my daughter, my dad is with my son. He's set up where he shot his buck from 2 seasons ago hoping for a repeat.

My daughter and i are at an easy in and out building near a feeder, activescrapes and (Her favorite this morning) a buddy heater

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
After yesterday both kids wanted to sleep in so we didn't go out for the second day of youth season.

I sighted in my 350 legend. I was initially planning on trying to just use the one i set up for my daughter. But after adjusting the LOP it was awkward to shoot and the scope and yeah just not set up for me. I have her sighted in with the 160gr bonded power points from winchester. Supposed really nice terminal ballistics out to about 150 yards. I sighted mine in with the 170 gr interloks by Hornady. Better BC so i pushed it seeing how it grouped at 25 (stacked them), 100 yards and 160 yards (both groups under an inch). I am very confident shooting this out to 200 or so.

Screenshot_20231119_171931_Range Buddy.jpg
Screenshot_20231119_172054_Range Buddy.jpg

Per my ballistics app my near zero is 25 and far zero 175, and should be about 2.8 inches high at 100. That puts me plus or minus 3 inches from my muzzle to 200+ yards. Verified today that I'm shooting almost exactly that.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
It was chilly this morning. However the IWOM did the trick and i was toasty. I do suggest if you aren't bundling up completely in it (and i rarely do, i don't like hoods while hunting unless necessary) a good neck gaiter makes a great addition.

Put some meat on the ground. Had other opportunities but none wanted to stop in shooting lanes.

Heading back to pick my daughter up and head to a building for the evening hunt.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
It's been a good gun season week so far.

I started today where i had success Monday but the only deer i saw were either off the property or took offense to my cigar and snort wheezed at me before i saw them walking in.

I left about 1300 to get a few things done at home and then pick my daughter to go to a blind we have near my feeder.

Got into the woods at about 1545. Got settled, enjoyed a can of pop and some skittles. Saw nothing but squirrels. About 1700 we saw a small buck working his way through the woods to our left so we watched to see if he had any friends or more importantly a big brother nearby. About 1720 my daughter Laney looked out her window and saw deer in a thicket across the cut corn field. It didn't appear they were moving the right way to make their way to us but we put down the window and started to make ready for Laney if they offered a shot. At 1726 the one that i had determined was a doe came out of the thicket and was slowly zig zagging her way toward us but was over 100 yards away. The other problem was as she meandered back and forth she was going from one side to the other side of a large tree we had to shoot around. At 1729 she was inside 50 yards and made the zig to come to the right of the tree. I had Laney get ready and i stopped the doe. I asked her is she had a shot and she said yes. I told her to take the safety off and then squeeze the trigger. She asked me " where's the trigger? i can't find it" so i helped get her fans back on it and then bang, she dropped that doe like a ton of bricks at just under 40 yards. We were celebrating and my alarm went off telling me the end of shooting light.
20231130_174738.jpg
20231130_174724.jpg

CVA cascade short barrel
350 legend
Win 160 gr bonded powermax

Did a heckuva number on the deer.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Last five posts either had pics of your kids, was about your kids hunt, or at a minimum referenced picking one up later to hunt. You've got it figured out buddy. Soak it up. Happens fast. My daughter graduates college in a couple weeks. My son is working and second year of college or chasing the two legged white tail. My days of taking them to the field will be the exception rather than the rule. I'm not saying you shouldn't get some "dad time" to hunt alone. Just recognizing you for what you are doing. I hope the rewards continue whether it is game on the table or memories made. Congrats on the deer for Laney! That's awesome!