Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hedgelj 2023-24

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Stalked through almost 2 miles of woods in about 3 hours. I was quiet enough i had plenty of squirrels in handgun range the whole time. Didn't see squat.

Sat down to enjoy a cigar (thanks @bowhunter1023 for the idea) and enjoy my view.
20231216_125319.jpg

Then 6 does came across that green field on the other side of the treeline from bottom left and crested the hill. They stopped at 420-430 yards for a minute or so. Couple of really nice big ones. But that's a bit far for my 350 legend.

Oh well.... at least i saw some.

My oldest wants to go out in the morning. Debating that one along with if i can trust him to go out on his own. How did the rest of you determine that for your kids? 🤔

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Stalked through almost 2 miles of woods in about 3 hours. I was quiet enough i had plenty of squirrels in handgun range the whole time. Didn't see squat.

Sat down to enjoy a cigar (thanks @bowhunter1023 for the idea) and enjoy my view.
View attachment 189269
Then 6 does came across that green field on the other side of the treeline from bottom left and crested the hill. They stopped at 420-430 yards for a minute or so. Couple of really nice big ones. But that's a bit far for my 350 legend.

Oh well.... at least i saw some.

My oldest wants to go out in the morning. Debating that one along with if i can trust him to go out on his own. How did the rest of you determine that for your kids? 🤔
Tough call, every kid is different. You and the wife know him best. Probably a conversation for the both of you. If he went, I’d have him within Bino range and a full charge on his phone. The luxury we have these days.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Went to some flooded ag fields just west of Funk bottoms. Set up in a likely spot by myself, no decoys or calls, just hope and to see where to be tomorrow.

Almost 5 minutes before shooting light a group of 8-10 almost lands in my lap. I hadn't even loaded up yet. I started to but that scared them off. A few more groups came through and a double landed a bit off from me and then another double came in and i missed ☹️.

Guy across the road has a proper set to with blinds and decoys and he was calling and he got one from a group that came to him.

Gonna borrow a half dozen or so decoys from a buddy for tomorrow morning.

All the fun and the only mess is the mud on me and my gun.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Transitions happening. Yesterday my son and I sat near but apart (100 yards out so). The first time he'd ever sat by himself in the woods for hunting. He made a mistake and has learned from it.

Today I'm watching him go while I try to move some deer past him.

Where did the little guy who would hold my hand and get so excited when we saw squirrels go and who is that tall lanky young man who's driving a side by side or to hunt?

I expect him to make additional mistakes including ones with shot placement but i trust him and know he can be responsible and make the right decision.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Transitions happening. Yesterday my son and I sat near but apart (100 yards out so). The first time he'd ever sat by himself in the woods for hunting. He made a mistake and has learned from it.

Today I'm watching him go while I try to move some deer past him.

Where did the little guy who would hold my hand and get so excited when we saw squirrels go and who is that tall lanky young man who's driving a side by side or to hunt?

I expect him to make additional mistakes including ones with shot placement but i trust him and know he can be responsible and make the right decision.
Just the first of many more to come, Doug.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Sunday my son wanted to hunt so I put him in a few places on the farm and tried to push some deer to him. However, the the deer didn't follow the script. On the last drive I did for him I was coming up on a place on the farm where I've bounced many a buck and I thought I noticed an antler sticking up out of the brush. Then I noticed the deer's face and his neck. I pulled up and the buck next to that one jumped up and obscured the shot. He then got up and was one of the biggest bucks I've seen in a VERY long time. He was big enough he sounded like a horse running down the hill away from me. He and his buddy crossed the road and I saw them through my binos at 200+ yards running away. My son's very respectable 8pt would have fit inside of him. So I now have a target for nexst year.

Monday I decided to not go out for first light. Then I stalked through the part of the farm I haven't been on all season. I saw a doe bedded down at about 150 yards. I got within 125 yards before the 8 other deer bedded down off the property saw me and bounced her and the all up the hill away from me. One stopped at about 130 yards and I took a shot but nothing.

I'm done for the season but I want to do a better job next year of seeing what's around and patterning to try to get some more views of mature bucks. My heart was pounding super hard after that experience sunday.