Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hedgelj 24-25

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Earlier this spring I rented a Harley rake and put in almost 2 acres of a dove field mix. The buckwheat grew nicely, the sunflowers grew in patches (maybe due to me hand crank spreading the seed mix) but a lot of extra stuff grew despite me spraying twice with clethodim.

The yellow finches are all over the sunflowers. Gonna wait a few more days to a week before I mow it down as short as I can to spread the seeds and (hopefully) start attracting doves.

At the same ish time I opened up a few spots and planted @at1010 's nitro boost. In other spots I just sprayed round up and went for it.

Reactions: Big_Holla

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
There was rain in the forecast for last night and this weekend so I figured I should work for the deers.

Sprayed round up on all the spots I set up.

1) I had cleared an area out in the woods. Last year it was run with a brush clearing head and this year with the Harley rake to take out the briars that were growing up. It was almost overwhelmed with poison hemlock!

I know from experience that round up doesn't really do much for that but I sprayed and then seeded hoping that when it dies from frost the carbon load from @at1010 will take over.

2) You can tell exactly where I sprayed in the spring but nothing really grew at all.... weird
20240816_164938.jpg

It's pretty open above it
20240816_164940.jpg

Thoughts?

I broadcast carbon load into it here's hoping.

3) Actually looked good and I'm hoping it takes the carbon load well.

I then took some and put it on the edges of my woods by my house and on part of my dove field with the idea that when I mow it short it'll be sprouts and not matter until after in done hunting doves.... or I messed up.... time will tell.

But it was actually relaxing and good for my mental health to get out and do some stuff like that.

That seed armr is fun stuff
d2ce068e-b946-4f86-b964-cad9e6a775a5.jpg