Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Help deciding on mower

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio
Very good points Phil, thanks for your input. My price break is 4k and the only ones I have looked at is the Toro TimeCutter MX5060 and the JD Z425. If I had to choose between these I am kinda torn.

Option 1 - Toro (pros)

Seat has 18" back
3 yr warranty
Can't find any negative reviews
Foot assist deck adjustment
50" deck
7 mph

Option 2 -JD (pros)

54" deck
8.5 mph
Better trade in on my L110 JD

I looked at some of the other manufactures that you guys mentioned but I just didn't see anything with at least a 50" deck in my price range.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dale- I would go the Kawasaki route over the Briggs route. The new Briggs engines aren't what they used to be when we were stealing 3.5hp motors off lawn mowers to build mini bikes and go karts.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Dale- I would go the Kawasaki route over the Briggs route. The new Briggs engines aren't what they used to be when we were stealing 3.5hp motors off lawn mowers to build mini bikes and go karts.

I put a Big Green 18hp Kohler motor on a small go Kart once. I think we got it off an old welder. Anyway.. Scared us and it was too heavy so we then put it on a craftsman rider frame without the hood.. First time we dumped the clutch the mower ended up on it's back end.. So we put a three point hand operated hitch on the back and bolted the wheels off the garden wagon on the arms.. Redneck wheelie bar. You could dump the clutch and ride a wheelie for a mile.. lol... Ah to be that young again.. We changed the pulley out and I can;t remember what the ratios were. but we put like a 12 inch pulley on the motor shaft and a 3-4 inch on the mower.. Had to tow it like a boogie board to get going, but once it did I bet that sucker would go 50 mph.. Never top ended it.. Fugger shaked like an earthquake and the front wheels vibrated back and forth.. lol Its a wonder I didn't end up crippled as a kid..

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH

I agree completely. Briggs are still good engines but the Kawasaki is a better one.

Toro vote from me then.

lazy s

Well, I am pretty sure I am going to pull the trigger and jump on the zero turn band wagon. I have my price limit so I have really been looking at the Toro TimeCutter MX5060 with a 50" deck and the John Deere Z425 with the 54" deck. I really prefer the 54" deck but in all of my review readings the John Deere has had some negativity. To be honest, the Toro not so much so, it has nothing but good reviews. I am really torn here because I grew up with John Deere, and have had the one I have now with no real issues. Plus the John Deere dealership will give me $799 trade in for my current 2003 L110, which I thought was decent. So, do any of you guys have experience the John Deere or Toro brand zero turns, or any opinion either way? Oh, Toro is also offering 0% for 48 months....

Check with M T D, they make about a dozen mowers. My Sears was made by electrolux along with a few other names.

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio
Alright guys, here is my mower decision update. I drove myself nuts (as usuall) when buying something like this. After researching and learning more I decided to go ahead and take the jump and up my price limit. I wanted the most bang for my buck and without getting into a full commercial unit, I wanted the heaviest duty residential unit I could get. With what I was looking for, like the ZT3100 transaxles, 52"-54" cut, big gas tank, heavier duty frame and comfort that lead me to the Gravely ZTHD or a Hustler Fastrak. The Hustler was $500 more than the Gravely. In the end I went with the Gravely ZTHD 52". It's super comfortable, has the Kawasaki 24hp engine, ZT3100 transaxles, bigger frame etc. Ya, its a little over kill for my one acre but this thing will definitely last me a really long time. I ended going 1k more than what was planned but to have this piece of mind in using this little tank for my yard...well, that's what I was looking for. I got it to my house Friday around 3pm. I knew I had a little time before Dale and Joie was going to arrive. So I hopped on to see what this bad boy could do. WOW....is it fun to mow the grass again. I actually took to driving this zero turn pretty well off the bat. Granted a couple spot I was at full throttle and the yard was slightly rough in one spot so my straight lines turned into zig zag lines....lol. But I quickly got the hang of it. It normally would take me 1hr and 5m to mow, not even being proficient with this new mower, I was done in 35 minutes. I am in love....and can't wait to mow again...lol.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
i don't think you will be disappointed. Should be the last mower you ever have to buy. Just follow the maintenance procedures and you are golden.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Air filter checks, oil changes, and regular grease schedule will do you wonders. Does this have an hour meter?