Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Help me decide - Baitcaster

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
My Abu crapped itself last year, so I'm in the market for a new one. Only problem is, I don't know what I wanna buy, so I'm turning to TOO! I don't wanna spend more than $120 on one, and it's will be paired with a medium action 8' BPS rod, probably 30-40lb braid, and used mainly for top water and crank baits, so I want a pretty quick retrieve. I've been looking at the Abu Revo line, the Shimano Citica, and a couple of the Daiwa's. Anybody have any input for me? The Abu Revo's have a different braking system than what I am used to, so I'm not real sure about it. Any input sure would help!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've always had great luck with Daiwas. I spool them up with PowerPro 50lb, slap 'em on a medium heavy 6.5 or 7' rod, and it's the perfect topwater-crankin-flippin-pitchin combo. These days I really don't think you could go wrong with any of the higher-end manufacturers, but Diawa has always been one of my favorites. They're kind of like buying a new bow, it's all about personal preference.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Daiwa has always been my favorite. I have three of the regal spinning reels, and have never had any trouble with them. I really never cared for Shimano, so shying away from it. I guess my biggest hangup between the Abu and Daiwa is the Abu braking system. I like the concept behind it compared to others, but I don't like that you have to take the side cover off to adjust it. I'll probably end up with another Daiwa, just wanted to hear from some others.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Daiwa has always been my favorite. I have three of the regal spinning reels, and have never had any trouble with them. I really never cared for Shimano, so shying away from it. I guess my biggest hangup between the Abu and Daiwa is the Abu braking system. I like the concept behind it compared to others, but I don't like that you have to take the side cover off to adjust it. I'll probably end up with another Daiwa, just wanted to hear from some others.

IMO, the braking system stuff is all just a bunch of marketing hype. If you can run one baitcaster, you can run them all. Hell, I remember when none of my baitcasters had any fancy braking systems... and I could cast just as well with those as my newer ones. If it were me, I would just disregard the differences in braking systems and go with what has always treated me right.... Diawa. Nothing against Abu, they've just never been my preference.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Now see I am the opposite. I love my Abu's! I have never had one fail (I have 3 now). Also, I received the higher priced Pflueger (can't remember the name) two years ago and it has become my go to bass reel. It is paired with an All Star 7'6" Medium wieght/Medium speed pole. Damn, I need to buy a new fishing boat. All I have now is a family cruiser (26') and a canoe. Craigslist here I come...

Beentown

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ahhh yes... pflueger makes some very nice reels! I've got a pflueger spinning reel that's just smooth as silk!