Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Here we go again

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
COLUMBUS — Division of Wildlife Chief Kendra Wecker is under investigation after the Ohio Department of Natural Resources received an allegation that, while hunting on private property in Delaware County, Wecker recently harvested a wild turkey within 50 yards of a game feeder.

Sarah Wickham, communications chief for the ODNR, confirmed Thursday an allegation had been received accusing Ms. Wecker of the hunting violation and an investigation was underway, adding no charges have been filed. Ms. Wickman said there would be no additional comment from the ODNR since the investigation is ongoing.

Ohio law states that it is “unlawful to hunt or take wild turkeys with the aid or use of bait.”

The incident is alleged to have taken place on or about the April 20 opening day for the spring wild turkey hunting season in the state’s southern zone, which includes 83 of Ohio’s 88 counties. The allegation was reportedly made anonymously on the state’s Turn-in-a-Poacher (TIP) hotline, allegedly by an ODNR employee.

Ms. Wecker, the first woman appointed to the full-time role of chief of the Division of Wildlife, has been with the ODNR for more than 25 years, and prior to being named chief in early 2019, played a prominent role in major legislative efforts involving hunting, fishing, and trapping. She has been actively involved in creating programs and partnerships vital to the state’s conservation work

https://www.toledoblade.com/local/a...zv25wJyJ9ThoGLew8G-T--vLPZ4daBEiP21wsv80kxDJc

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Best thing she could do is own up, admit the feeder was there but she thought it was empty etc, take her licks publically and hope that's enough.

Reactions: Hedgelj

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
For the sake of curiosity what is considered "with the aid or use of bait"? It mentions 50 yards. Outside of that is it no longer aiding? Or does the 50 yards have any relevance in this at all? Was it just mentioned? I've always wondered what the law truly is. Why do the laws have to be so vague leaving the interpretation up to the WO.
I have a buddy in WV that was told if he knows his NEIGHBOR is baiting then he can't kill a bear on his own property.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
For the sake of curiosity what is considered "with the aid or use of bait"? It mentions 50 yards. Outside of that is it no longer aiding? Or does the 50 yards have any relevance in this at all? Was it just mentioned? I've always wondered what the law truly is. Why do the laws have to be so vague leaving the interpretation up to the WO.
I have a buddy in WV that was told if he knows his NEIGHBOR is baiting then he can't kill a bear on his own property.

I had a discussion with my WO over what is baiting for waterfowl. I was hunting a sweet corn field that was hand harvested, disced up and a cover crop was planted and growing. Hand picked corn leaves a lot of the imperfect ears in the field so even after tillage there is lots of corn in the field. He said that hunting that field was hunting over bait.

Here is the rule:
“The presence of seed or grain in an agricultural area rules out waterfowl hunting unless the seed or grain is scattered solely as the result of a normal agricultural planting, normal agricultural harvesting, normal agricultural post-harvest manipulation, or normal soil stabilization practice.”

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I had a discussion with my WO over what is baiting for waterfowl. I was hunting a sweet corn field that was hand harvested, disced up and a cover crop was planted and growing. Hand picked corn leaves a lot of the imperfect ears in the field so even after tillage there is lots of corn in the field. He said that hunting that field was hunting over bait.

Here is the rule:
“The presence of seed or grain in an agricultural area rules out waterfowl hunting unless the seed or grain is scattered solely as the result of a normal agricultural planting, normal agricultural harvesting, normal agricultural post-harvest manipulation, or normal soil stabilization practice.”

Too many gray areas. I can tell you that in the past 15 years almost every turkey I have killed has had corn in it even though the property I killed it on had none out. So, technically I killed a baited turkey. I wish this was the late 90s/early 2000s again where I knew of nobody that was baiting. The hunting was so much better back then. Now if you don't have corn out you aren't even in the parking lot of the ballgame.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isaacorps