Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hey Denny ( Wildlife )

Fletch

Supporting Member
Look what I found for ya.... I tapped it with a stick and the residents were not too happy... Today was 80 out and we'll need a good frost to kick them out. It's along a well traveled road so let's hope no one else gets it... Kinda really cool as they built it around small branches and there are leaves on the ends....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 82
  • PXL_20211016_191315208.jpg
    PXL_20211016_191315208.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 80

Fletch

Supporting Member
I needs to find me one.
Damn.... Now I gotta look for another one... The one pictured above is in Pa... Took a quick ride across the Delaware yesterday with a friend to check if the Feds planted corn along the river... This week is archery and muzzy season for bears there, so I was considering going, but no corn so guess I won't go... So as I was driving I spotted it and hit the brakes... Friends like: See a bear??? No a hornets nest for Denny... He's like what, your not putting that in the truck... I'm like NO... So naturally it's surrounded by multi-flora bushes... They got me more than the hornets....

I'll keep my eyes out for you Nick....

Jamie

Ohio
I spotted this one Monday morning from a tree stand 200 yards away across the powerline/cornfield on my property. Funny thing is, it is right along the lane I keep mowed for driving truck on. It's only about 11 or 12 feet off the ground, too. I've driven under this thing dozens of time on mower and in truck, but never noticed it. Appears to be vacant already, but I'll wait for some real cold weather to go cut it down. Always wanted one of these for decoration.

IMG_3577.jpg

Fletch

Supporting Member
Nice one Jamie... Just ran over to Pa. To check that one for Denny.... Bees still in it...

Fletch

Supporting Member
Don't wait too long.... I don't know why but once bees are gone the nest falls apart fast in the elements... I figure I'll get Denny's before I head to Illinois...

Reactions: Jamie

Fletch

Supporting Member
I would love to have one, don’t see them much around here
They seem to be a hot item... You have your eye on one and go back to get it and it's gone... I see a few every year... I know where there is a very big one... However it's 30-40 feet directly above a very busy road....

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I'm thinking getting that thing down is a February project. Angry Hornets just don't play nice. :ROFLMAO:
Don’t wait that long or it will be damaged by weather and animals. First real cold morning (doesn’t have to be frost) go up to it and slip a trash bag over it and seal with tie wraps. Cut the branch. Put another trash bag over it and tie wrap. Hang in the barn or garage for a year (anything inside that didn’t die at the first frost will overwinter and come out in the spring…everything will be dead in a year). DO NOT set it on the ground. The nest will be flat on the side that touches the ground. It is very important that you hang it in the rafters.

Jamie

Ohio
thanks Sarge! It's in pristine condition now. Guess I'll put on my big boy pants, nut up and bag it up first time we get cold. hopefully soon. do you spray clear acrylic or shellac or anything on them to keep help preserve them?

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
thanks Sarge! It's in pristine condition now. Guess I'll put on my big boy pants, nut up and bag it up first time we get cold. hopefully soon. do you spray clear acrylic or shellac or anything on them to keep help preserve them?
I’ve seen it done but I don’t. It looks good natural. As long as it’s indoors, it’ll be fine.

Reactions: Jamie