Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hicks Lawn Services truck racing

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Motor came apart at the motor builders. He called me and told me he hated me. It appears like rings and we are good. Bottom end bearings looked good. He also told me the thing has four different pistons in it. Some places will break up a set and sell rings per piston. Not sure if we will get that lucky. If we have to buy four sets of rings we are going to buy pistons and rings cheaper. Hopefully won't need to do any machining. That gets expensive. So much for a cheap "hone and fresh rings" rebuild. Lapping the valves and going thru the head "shouldn't" be an issue. My engine builder put it together so he knows what he is getting into. Guess we will freshen this one and see what is left in the budget for a second motor. Season will be here before you know it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Short block is together. Honed. New rings. Working on the head now. Lapping valves basically is what it needs.

Wasn't going to re-skin the truck this year. We have some exciting news on the horizon. Sounds like we are going to need to look pretty. Current status before I had to cut out today. Not bad for an hour or so of drilling rivets out. There are a lot more rivets than most would ever imagine. Lol

1000007395.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
She is a blank canvas. I need to redo some of the front metal where it is tweaked. I also did not care for how it came out when we were rebuilding it. Probably should get some spring steel for the rear quarter to pop back out when it is pushed in. Currently it has aluminum flat stock we just tweak back into shape. It is likely getting a wrap (on the sides at a minimum) and I'm not sure how well those hold up when wrinkled up. I'd really like to NOT have to pay for a partial wrap everytime a rear quarter is crunched.
1000007398.jpg
1000007400.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Need to finish the nose and get it lettered.

Motor is pretty much done. Need to install the windage tray and a few odds and ends.

The BIG announcement happened tonight. I'm giddy!

We will be referred to as the Warriors Way #17 truck this year. We have partnered with the non-profit organization to promote their cause. They provide forging and knife making classes for Veterans and kids. They work with Veterans to combat PTSD, mental health, and suicide prevention. We have some additional sponsors coming on along with them also. Feels REALLY good knowing I will be racing for awareness. It is something bigger than myself and I feel privileged to be able to represent their organization.

1000007514.jpg