Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hicks Lawn Services truck racing

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If anyone is following along and considering coming to Muskingum next Saturday (Oct 8). . . .it doesn't look like we are on the card. For whatever reason, without telling our promoter (or returning his messages) they added a different class and pulled us from the show.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Friday and Saturday are the Monster Mash races at Montpelier in Indiana. I need the truck to finish both nights. Only 3 different trucks have won features this year. The one truck has won maybe 5-6 features with 3-4 different drivers.

None of them are supposed to be there this weekend. We are going to see a new truck win. Quite possible to have two racers get their first ever wins this weekend. Should be an exciting way to finish the season. To be truthful, I've not been this excited in a long time. If the truck holds together and the driver does his part. . . .we shall see.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Short version: one of the v6 trucks showed up and swept up the trophies. I tucked in behind him Friday for second in the heat race. Third in the feature. Saturday I won my heat race and took third in the feature again.

Long version below: 🤣

Friday I started 4th in the feature. I had been battling back and forth with 3rd place. I was in the low/middle line which didn't have much grip. That was the line available as the other truck was on the more preferred high line. I was faster but needed to be substantially faster to pass him low. We swapped 2nd and 3rd a few laps when someone slid up from under me and about took us all into the wall. Nobody spun, but it allowed a couple around us. I battled back into third from 5th before the checkers but couldn't reel in 1st or 2nd.

Saturday we started the night on the same exact track we finished Friday night. They didn't work it at all. They did water it but it was sealed over and turned into an ice skating rink. Traction was pretty much non-existent.

I started position 3 of 6 in the heat race. Worked into 1st pretty early. Lap one. Our heat had every heavy hitter (that was attending) minus the v6 truck. I was pulling them pretty good (close to half a straight away) when we had a caution. Did alright on the restart but couldn't shake the 9 truck. Not sure if I changed my line or if my tires didn't fire off, or just what it was. Maybe he just got hungrier after the restart put him on my bumper? I don't know, but he and I put on a great show for the fans. We swapped spots, or were dead even crossing the line 3 of last 4 laps. I pulled him a truck length or two on the last lap for my first heat race win. 🏁🏁🏁

We did make big adjustments for the heat race after the hot laps. They seemed to work. I also found a ton of oil spewing out the breather on my valve cover after the heat race win. Went into the feature with good setup, but uncertainty about the oil issues. Topped off fluids and started the feature second row inside.

By the end of the first lap the v6 was out front and I was working second place on the bottom. Ugh. Bottom sucks. Too slick. No grip. I cleared the front row trucks and worked my way to the top of the track. I settled in and railed the cushion. I hung with the v6 truck as he was middle of track to lower side of the cushion. This went on a few laps when we saw the rest of the field working the bottom and gaining ground. Somehow the bottom came in and was working for them. He dropped low when he got passed but I decided to live or die running the top. I need momentum to beat the v6 because I'll never out motor him. I bounced between 2nd and 4th until lap 9 when we had a caution. Throw a blanket over 2/3/4 because my high line was about even with their low line. I think every lap was different positions for us depending on who got better bite. All this time, three or four of us were on the v6 like a pack of hungry hound dogs. One of our 4cyl guys had actually taken the lead around lap 6 and had been leading a few laps.
So here we are getting ready to restart after the caution. V6 in second. Me in 4th. We both get good hole shots and he quickly took the lead. I decided to run the bottom and see what I could make happen. The top just wasn't working and I could smell oil burning off the header. (I had been seeing smoke and smelling it from lap 6-9 leading to the caution but my gauges were reading okay. I knew it was oil spewing again.) The other two 4cyl trucks in front of me hugged the bottom leaving me no choice but to wait for one of them to screw up and hope the engine held together. One of them slipped up the track enough I could slide under him for third place. That was as good as it got with only 3 laps remaining after the caution.

Finished the weekend with a 2nd and 1st place in the heat races and a pair of third place finishes in the feature. After last season, I couldn't be happier. Last year was humble pie week after week. I ran 9 of the 25 race schedule and only had one race where I didn't start the feature. That was after taking second in the heat race. Some races were rained out or dropped. I'll let you know how I finish in the standings. I think I was 8th or 9th in points going into this weekend.

Good thing we are done. I've got work to do. Lol

48712.jpeg

PXL_20221030_023439728.jpg

PXL_20221030_023505691.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Finally took a peek at the truck tonight. Checked oil. Did a compression test on all cylinders. 1/2 cylinders are great around 175-180psi. 3/4 cylinders are 150-155psi. Think I'll put half an ounce of oil in 3/4 and run another compression test. If pressure comes up it is likely rings. If compression stays the same, I'm guessing valves. Either way, probably should tear it down and repair before it is a big dollar repair. Paying my engine builder to build a back up motor right now. It won't be quite as hot as the "big motor" currently in the truck. Should still be relatively competitive. I just hate to have two motors in pieces at once. Winter income has been pretty bleak. I go under the knife in 8 days for some replacement hardware in my neck (artificial c7 disc.) Not sure how long to expect for recovery. If spring is here when I am back up to speed, then I will be working.

2023 season is looking big. They added 6 races at Waynesfield which is 15-20min away and 3 races at Limaland rather than the usual 2. That is 9 local races for me. Would be nice to hit all of them but many are early spring and I'll be recovering or working. I'm seeing a 25-30 race series coming. I don't know how these guys do it. My budget and time don't allow it. I guess I will see what the big motor needs and how my recovery goes and go from there. Keeping the same goals as last year: Be safe, have fun, and steadily improve.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
2023 season kicks off at Waynesfield Raceway Park April 22. They have been closed the last few years outside of putting on a handful of big money shows each year.

Truck is cleaned up. Valves have been run. Swapped the steering wheel coupler to one I trust. This forced a lot of changes. The geometry was different. Had to reposition the steering shaft and all the linkage. Changed the transmission cross member which brought the engine more level. Hoping this assists in extending the engine life and possibly a little more even fuel delivery. This also allowed me to use a different header which should deliver a little better bottom end power. Banged out sheet metal as best I could. Not spending time or money ($125/sheet) on metal for rear quarters. I'll just need to stay far enough in front of people to not get tagged in the rear. Lol. That is a work in progress. Also did a bit of painting and buffing tire rub marks off the sheet metal and stickers.

Picked up a bunch of really nice used tires. As soon as we have power in our other shop again, I'll need to get them swapped out. We have been without power since the tornado hit and awaiting the electrician. Be nice to get all these tires swapped so I can sell the old ones and sell the "new" ones I won't be using. That will generate a little money for the season. I did get about six mounted. 8-10 more to go. Could probably do all the bead lock rims without a machine if I can break loose the old ones by hand. Mounting new ones aren't too bad without a machine. Breaking the bead is the hard part.

Still awaiting the back up motor to be built. Hopefully we won't need it. Really won't know until we run the truck a few more times to see if the oil spray issue is resolved. PXL_20230409_023421895.jpg
PXL_20230409_014234797.jpg

PXL_20230409_014202554.jpg

PXL_20230409_010330654.jpg

PXL_20230409_010252945.jpg
PXL_20230404_050232054.jpg
PXL_20230331_020622656.jpg

And the quarters before banging all the way out. I actually think we had beaten them back into shape a little just to keep from rubbing in the last two nights of racing last year.

PXL_20230404_230632927.jpg
PXL_20230404_230621905.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
First race is Saturday. Looking at the forecast, I'm not expecting to race. Rain appears to be immanent. Think I just need to swap differential fluid and clean up/grind/groove a couple tires and I'm ready. Or just show up. It is ready enough.

Saw a video of a full blown Esslinger Engineering motor on their dyno. This is NOT my motor, but we can always dream and aspire to achieve more motor. This thing sounds so sweet. When they shut her down from full throttle and she settles right back into an idle? Oh wow. Not sure they could have fine tuned it any better.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Good luck this season Phil!

So where's the dynamic results on that girl? She sings for a 4cyl! How many rpms, typical HP/torque do they put up?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good luck this season Phil!

So where's the dynamic results on that girl? She sings for a 4cyl! How many rpms, typical HP/torque do they put up?
I don't know the specs on that particular setup. I snagged a random vid I saw because. . . .well, it was such an impressive clip. Lol

They had an Engine Masters episode which featured the 2.3L Lima motor. This is probably a clip from that episode of Engine Masters. It mentioned getting up to1000hp out of these. I'd suspect the one in the video was an easy 300-400hp and it would shock me if it was higher. They left the factory 90-110hp. 🤘

Reactions: 5Cent

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
@5Cent I would guess most "built" motors for dirt track are in the 250hp range. +/- 50hp. That is a big range but everyone has a different budget. Plenty of 100-150hp race cars/trucks with this engine. They just don't run up front. Take the same application in a drag car setup and they are tearing down engines after one run in the big money teams. Those would be the 1000hp motors he references in his video. Add a turbo setup and 200-300hp streetable performance is there.

Reactions: Boarhead

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Race 1 and 2 were rained out. Tonight is Race 3. Nasty looking storm cells moving in about 7-9pm. I'd almost rather see it cancel than show up, run hot laps, load everything wet, and go home with no refund. 😁. Is that negative? Or am I just getting old? In my mind, that is a lot of effort and anticipation for excitement. . . .But you know the football is going to get pulled away and Charlie Brown ends up on his butt. 🤣🤣🤣