Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hicks Lawn Services truck racing

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I just shared this with Kody. He's up at UNOH now and all his roomates are into racing. If there's a race schedule for Limaland let me know and I'll share it with him. Maybe they'll wanna check out some races.

Nice! Trucks ran there twice this year. Well, rained out once, and ran once. They talk of adding more truck races to the schedule next year. Tell Kody he can ride to Montpelier with me Sept 7 if he wants. Or if he needs anything, you know you can contact me. I'd imagine Drake would do what he could as well in a pinch. You got peeps on your phone in an emergency. I'd help however i could. You have some good kids.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Phil - let me know the next time you are behind the wheel and local. Been trying to get the boys out to a race it just hasn't been in the cards so far this year.

We are done in Ohio for the year. Gas City and Montpelier Indiana are all that is left unless we travel farther. We (the owners on the trucks) are trying to get a points series put together for next year. Hoping to include a handful of races in Lima, maybe Waynesfield, and Indiana. Not sure if we can make an actual series happen or not. If not, there is "talk" of Lima adding more truck races to their schedule. Happens every year. Rumors start floating around as the season comes to an end. "Waynesfield not racing next year" was a rumor for years. . . .Until it actually happened for 2019. I'll keep you @cotty16 @Redhunter1012 posted for next year.

Thanks Ryan! I'll try to keep updating. Not sure how many more I'll do this year. Looks like Sept 7 and after that I have every weekend full in September. Might hit some in October but we have football/soccer/hunting season . . .

Reactions: Mike

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Nice! Trucks ran there twice this year. Well, rained out once, and ran once. They talk of adding more truck races to the schedule next year. Tell Kody he can ride to Montpelier with me Sept 7 if he wants. Or if he needs anything, you know you can contact me. I'd imagine Drake would do what he could as well in a pinch. You got peeps on your phone in an emergency. I'd help however i could. You have some good kids.

Yep absolutely. I work in Lima everyday and live about 15 miles away. If your son ever needs anything Mike just say the word!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member

Thanks, Phil!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I didn't have a stellar night. Got jambed up in the heat race. Started 5th. Finished 4th. Two trucks in front of me taking top and bottom line every turn. Couldn't get around until one of them finally made a pass. That left me starting 8 out of 12 in the feature. I got around 2 but one truck pinched me against the wall. I backed out and let him around. It was another one of our trucks. Dick move, but his girlfriend was in front of us. He did it so they could block off the track and not let me (or anyone else) around. It is not a three wide kind of track. Tried high. Tried low. Too wet down low and couldn't get a good run. Up high the cushion was more like a berm. I would have had to have run off the track to pass high. Would have ended up over the edge of the track. I let the owners of the trucks know so they were aware but didn't want to start silly drama. It is racing. BUT. . .if it was any other truck NOT owned by our guys I would have leaned back into him and stayed on the throttle. I just wasn't going to risk crashing out two of our trucks.

As a sponsor/fill in driver, for me it is more important to help keep their trucks together and finish as high as possible. Our trucks ran 2nd, 4,5th,6th, and 7th. Had one go off when throttle linkage broke or we would have probably had 2/3/5/6/7/8. Darn shame too as he was running good.

I should add I was in a different truck tonight too. Not that it matters, but there is a little bit of adjustment whenever you jump from truck to truck. One of the owners mentioned throwing me in a yet another truck down the road just to help me get the feel of different trucks to get more experience. Feels good knowing they trust me switching around without trashing or crashing their trucks.

Feel good story is the "new truck." The owners bought two trucks which were prior feature winners. However, they had been sitting in the weeds for several years. Maybe 3-5 years. 4th place in its first race back. Needs some setup changes but runs strong. Attached are some pics of the floorboard, moss covered steering wheel, and grass packed in it. That is how we raced it. Lol

The best part of the night was one of my part time employees and friend who showed up. He and his girlfriend, along with one of their friends drove over an hour to cheer me on. Made signs in the car on the way to the race. Made me feel like a million bucks!

Attachments

• IMG_20190915_005947.jpg
    IMG_20190915_005947.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_20190914_205053.jpg
    IMG_20190914_205053.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_20190914_150911.jpg
    IMG_20190914_150911.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_20190914_144016.jpg
    IMG_20190914_144016.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_20190914_141503.jpg
    IMG_20190914_141503.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_20190914_141426.jpg
    IMG_20190914_141426.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 302

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good racing Phil. Tough situation there
Thanks. Basically I opted to play it short and chip it in for par. As long as nobody else got around me, our owners get the same payout. My competitive nature was simply not used to backing down and "settling."