Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

History channel “alone”

Qback5

Got into seasons 1 and 2. Got me thinking about attending classes and training and trying out. Neat concept. Thought the prize was small for what they do.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
I like it, but it’s very hard to follow with just a snippet from each person per episode. I think it should be two hours long with more content.

Being an outdoors person, I say to myself “I could do that”. But the struggle is harder than it looks.

I know they get ten items to take. They must get them early like w thereafter bow. These people shoot them like experts. Surely if I was younger, I think I could go for the long haul. But saying it and doing it is easy. I wonder if they know where they are going ahead of the trip so they research what is edible and what to select to survive. Most of the people are survivalist but do real stupid shit.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I've watched every episode since it first came out. First couple seasons I think I could have done great. This season is just down right brutal and the level of competitors are getting way up there. Most of them are already living off grid it seems. I would still give it a helluva try though lol.

Seen more then a few tap from being careless and cutting themselves, eating stupid shit, and one guy lost his fire starter.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
I've watched every episode since it first came out. First couple seasons I think I could have done great. This season is just down right brutal and the level of competitors are getting way up there. Most of them are already living off grid it seems. I would still give it a helluva try though lol.

Seen more then a few tap from being careless and cutting themselves, eating stupid shit, and one guy lost his fire starter.

I thought one guy this year didn’t get a fire starter. He opted for the gill net instead. Your in the artic, yeah don’t need a fire I need a gillnet. Really?

Reactions: RedCloud

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker

Yup, when I see people cutting toward themselves, I lose my mind. I tell my wife to look what they’re doing and a few times they did end up cutting themselves. You would think with the level of skill these people have that they would know the basic stuff like always cut away from you.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Guessing this just started again? We had a thread going from a few years back, I need to check the firestick guide and get it on DVR. I enjoy watching this one!

Reactions: Sgt Fury

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Guessing this just started again? We had a thread going from a few years back, I need to check the firestick guide and get it on DVR. I enjoy watching this one!
New season started a couple weeks ago. We have been watching it on sling and should have this weeks episode today.

I'm with you guys. Seen the guy that opted out of the fire starter and thought the same thing lol. Bet he was shiten a brick when he couldn't get the drill to work lol.

Every time they are messing with the knives I cringe because most end up losing focus and cut themselves to the bone. Every time I see them cutting towards themselves I know it only a matter of time until they are gone.

Can't wait to see somebody actually kill something other then squirrels with the bow. Watched a guy miss one in the tree and then proceeded to cut the tree down to get his arrow back 😂

I don't see any of them doing much shelter wise either. STUPID!!

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Well ain’t much happening. Better have a great shelter if you plan on staying. Looks like the guy killed a moose. They showed blood at the end. Looked like he was slinging from 100 yards out on the first miss. He better hang that shit and hope it starts freezing. If so he will win unless he does something stupid.

Too bad other survivors can’t try and come steal his shit.., now that would make things interesting. [emoji23]

Last edited:

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
New season started a couple weeks ago. We have been watching it on sling and should have this weeks episode today.

I'm with you guys. Seen the guy that opted out of the fire starter and thought the same thing lol. Bet he was shiten a brick when he couldn't get the drill to work lol.

Every time they are messing with the knives I cringe because most end up losing focus and cut themselves to the bone. Every time I see them cutting towards themselves I know it only a matter of time until they are gone.

Can't wait to see somebody actually kill something other then squirrels with the bow. Watched a guy miss one in the tree and then proceeded to cut the tree down to get his arrow back 😂

I don't see any of them doing much shelter wise either. STUPID!!
I’ve seen them hold onto a piece of wood with one hand and swing an axe with the other to cut it into smaller pieces. One of these times someone’s going to lose a finger or two.

tracker 6

In a thicket
This show has me cussing at the tv every time watch it.One season a guy kept unstringing his bow daily till he got to weak to string it back up.Idiot . another guy was catching fish hand over fist,quit when he had enough for that days supper.Guess what ,they quit biting after that.Hell I'm old and fat and could last as long as most, maybe the fat part might be an advantage.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I think it was season 1 and an Ohio guy tapped out on the 1st night lol.

From what I have seen people have to apply for the show (I stated to once but never finished it) then they pick people and do almost like a challenge where the winners are chosen to be on the show. I don't know how long before they ship out that they are told where they are going. Then the show sets up a mini training base camp where they go over edibles and dangers of local wildlife. Then they are taken to their little chunk of land to start filming.

Maybe I'll finish my application just to see if I can do it lol.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I don’t remember if it was season one or two but they interviewed this black guy at home and someone in his family asked about bears and the dude said the bears better be afraid of him and was cocky, pounding his chest type of answer. First night out, you hear a bear bawling in the woods. The guy was scared to death. First he was twenty feet from the water, next clip he’s at the waters edge, next clip he’s standing on a rock ten yards into the ocean.....waiting for the crew to come pick him up. 😂😂

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
I think it was season 1 and an Ohio guy tapped out on the 1st night lol.

From what I have seen people have to apply for the show (I stated to once but never finished it) then they pick people and do almost like a challenge where the winners are chosen to be on the show. I don't know how long before they ship out that they are told where they are going. Then the show sets up a mini training base camp where they go over edibles and dangers of local wildlife. Then they are taken to their little chunk of land to start filming.

Maybe I'll finish my application just to see if I can do it lol.

With that said, it looks very doable as long as you can procure the basic necessities. I believe most fall because of the solitude. I’d smuggle in a hustler mag and be good to go haha.

I have a coworker that turned me on to this show. He is an avid outdoorsman like most of us here. He said first thing he would do is build a mailbox, cause he ain’t going nowhere and they’d have to deliver his mail. [emoji1787]

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
With that said, it looks very doable as long as you can procure the basic necessities. I believe most fall because of the solitude. I’d smuggle in a hustler mag and be good to go haha.

I have a coworker that turned me on to this show. He is an avid outdoorsman like most of us here. He said first thing he would do is build a mailbox, cause he ain’t going nowhere and they’d have to deliver his mail. [emoji1787]
A lot of them fall to thoughts of home. I told the wife when I started filling out the application that if I got on the show I wasn't going to think about home or her and the kids. She said I better not. at least not until they plucked me from my camp and handed me a check lol. Then she said i better think about where we are going for a dinner date lol.

Seen a couple women that surprised me and had some nice camps setup and were doing great getting food. Thought they would do great but they thought about home or their kids and packed up and tapped.

I like the mailbox idea lol.