Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Honey bees

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I have honey bees going into a space in my brick. Right behind the bracket in the photo. Not interested in killing them. Any suggestions?

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I have honey bees going into a space in my brick. Right behind the bracket in the photo. Not interested in killing them. Any suggestions?
Contact the local dept of ag for local beekeeping resources or groups. Someone may be interested in the hive and helping you get it out.

What county are you in? I can ask around on an Ohio beekeeping group for you if you want me to.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I know a guy who's into [emoji219] and he made up a vacuum system to just draw them out with out injuring them.... Should be some plans out there on the net for it....

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I'm in Wood. I'm definitely not interested in tearing my brick out. They would need to live trap them somehow.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
If that's the case, they are not long for the world. I'll torch them and seal the entrance. I don't believe the hive is very old or established. Hate to do that, but I'm not in the market to tear my house apart again. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My son and raised bees couple years before the business took off and got busy.
I have serious sinus problems and for the last 10 yrs or so I take a teaspoon of honey in my 1st cup of coffee. In 1977 my sinus infection was so bad I had to go to the Rocky Mountains for 6 weeks on sick leave. Honey now keeps my sinus problems away.
The thing about local honey is better for you and your sinus I found out to be pure internet BS. I was out in WY during a spring wild flower bloom and my sinus got so bad I almost went to the hospital. Eat honey on my pancakes for breakfast and in 2-3 hrs I was cleared up. The honey label stated made from US, Canada, Chile, or China honey or a mixture of all of them.
I have taken honey out of my own front yard and honey for overseas and find no different in sinus relief. Most of my honey now comes from here in Hamilton of just south of Lima and I find no difference in sinus relief.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Very cool indeed! I am not a fan of getting stung or being around flying insects/small animals. I will be watching from a far.

That's an awesome catch and a really nice looking queen!!! I am into bee keeping to. Just got into it this year but I already have 3 hives. I caught one that was in a big wooden dog box and caught a swarm out if a tree and also bought a hive. It's alot of fun and there is a ton to learn about it. I've spent a lot of time reading and posting in bee forums about them and I think I kinda got it figured out, at least for now. Are you feeding your bees right now and do you plan to use any miteacides this year?

Last edited: