Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hortontoter's 2021 Season

My season finally got in gear. I got in my creek bottom stand at 2:00 Tuesday afternoon. Felt great to be in my favorite place to be in the fall. The only quirk was the north wind, which is the worst wind I can hunt in. Most deer approach my creek bottom from the south, oh well better than sitting at home. By dark, after seeing nothing, I wasn't really surprised. Deer rarely come from the north at this stand site.

Wednesday morning the wind was still north, but very light. At 9:03 I see a doe just south of me about 50 yards away. She walked my creek a little ways to the west. Suddenly she knew something was not right. She started the stiff legged gait, stopped, stomped twice then headed back south. I knew I had been had. At 10:57 I caught a deer approaching from the north, amazing in itself. He had antlers, so in one fluid motion, I flip off the safety and shoulder my crossbow. I see that he is just a basket 8, not a deer I want. He approaches via a path I have carved out with my lawn tractor. He is covering ground fairly quick and makes an abrupt halt. Nose goes directly to the ground, and he is now on full alert and I knew why. My buddy hunts about 400 yards west of me, but due the the terrain he must walk in front of my stand to get to his. He hugs the creek edge and goes north as far as possible so that deer coming from the south never cut his track until I would have an opportunity to shoot or pass a buck. This works in cases where the bucks come from the south. He stares in my direction and the detours up the steep hill to his right and disappears.

At 3:00 I settle in for the afternoon hunt. At 4:10 low and behold I see another deer approach from the north of the same path I had seen the 8 point on the morning. You guessed it, same result he cut the scent and stopped dead. But, this buck was one that was on my hit list. This deer seemed determined to come my way.. He is about 40 yards from me standing in the wide open broadside. He stood there for at least five minutes as I watched him through my scope. He was a deer I call Sweeper due to his sweeping main beams that almost meet each other at the ends. The entire time he stood there he was looking towards me and never stopped licking his lips. I had a wide open shot, my mind kept telling me, you can make this shot. But, I have never shot at a deer at this distance. I have more respect for my quarry than to take an ill advised shot at that distance. His being on high alert entered my chain of thought TOO, but really had no bearing on my decision though. He finally decided he wasn't coming my way and sauntered up the steep hillside and out of site. I have a hunch we will see each other again. This is Sweeper.
9 SWEEPER.JPG

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Heck of a first sit for the season, Dick. Here’s hoping ole sweeper and you have a lot more history!!!!

Hunted Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday this week. Had some good encounters and saw two of the bucks on my hit list. I could have killed the buck I call Super Seven, but let him walk at 15 yards. I saw another deer on the list that I would have taken if he had given me a shot. I really thought I would pass Mr Perfect until I saw him at 30 yards or so. He is much better than I assumed he was. Here is a short recap of my hunts.

Nov. 1st 51* Wind 5-10 mostly N but swirling. We were on stand at about 2:20 and hunted till dark. At 2:58 Mr. Perfect came in from the north. Very surprising the bucks are working north to south this season. Again this buck cut Jeff’s track and wouldn’t come by me. It followed his trail up to at least the big rock. Five minutes later a five point came from the north. He went right to where my dripper hangs and licked the branches. While doing that a big limb fell on top of my stand. It startled him and he slowly made his way south and crossed in to Jack’s. Jeff saw a buck at 2:45 but couldn’t get a good look at him. It may have been the same buck I saw at 2:58. After this hunt we came up with a new strategy for Jeff to get to his stand that seems to work.

Nov. 2nd 39* No wind. We were both on stand before daylight and hunted until 11:15 or so. Jeff had a tiny 8 point come out of the north at 10:15 towards the back. It worked its way to his grapevines and rubbed on them and then he headed south. I saw nothing this morning.

Not much warmer this afternoon but a little more swirling wind. We got on stand at about 2:30 and hunted til dark. At 4:40 the big 7 point came from the south. He was a little skittish but I had the chance to shoot but let him walk. He went up the tractor trail towards the big rock. Jeff saw nothing.

Nov. 3rd Approx. 30* very little wind. I got in a little late this morning due to needing to put air in a tire on my tractor. I was ready to hunt at 7:40. Sun came up and it is a great morning to be out. Leaves are steadily falling. Neither of us saw a deer this morning.
8 POINT.JPG
7 point.JPG

Nov. 9 approx. 55* when I got on stand at 11:05.Sunny with very light WSW wind. Jeff came by me at 12:35 and headed to his stand. A perfect afternoon, but little deer movement. I had a fork horn 4 point come from the north at 5:05. He came through quickly and crossed the creek at the tractor crossing. He went south following the creek after going by the old bridge. Jeff saw nothing.

Nov. 10 About 40* with no wind. A little foggy along the creek to the south. We both were on stand before shooting time. I sat all day. Jeff went back to the cabin from 11-1:30. The farmers start to pick the corn just before dark. Neither of us saw any deer today.

Oct 11 About 47-50* with very little wind. We both got to our stand before shooting light. At 8:10 I had a small spike or 3 point come from the north and he did go all the way through to the fence crossing. At 10:15 Super Seven came from the south and I took the shot at him. I hit him a lot higher than I should have. As he ran after the shot I thought I saw the vanes of my arrow sticking just outside his body on his right side up very high just below the spine. He bled a bit, but the blood trail became hard to follow. He went down into the deep ravine on Jim’s and we never found blood after that. We searched for him to no avail. Later I did find the front half of my arrow behind where he stood. The blades were all bent to some degree. He had broken of half of the arrow going through the brush after the terrible hit. I have no idea what I did wrong. The only thing I can think is I used the bottom line on the multi line scope. Which would have had me using a 40 yard setting to take a 15 yard shot. I have never cared for the three crosshairs system on the TenPoint scope.

These two photos show how much I stink at this game at times, makes be sick, but it is the uncensored truth of what happens. Look close at the second photo to see the arrow vanes.

HUNT0338.JPG
HUNT0339.JPG

Last edited:
Nov. 9 approx. 55* when I got on stand at 11:05.Sunny with very light WSW wind. Jeff came by me at 12:35 and headed to his stand. A perfect afternoon, but little deer movement. I had a fork horn 4 point come from the north at 5:05. He came through quickly and crossed the creek at the tractor crossing. He went south following the creek after going by the old bridge. Jeff saw nothing.

Nov. 10 About 40* with no wind. A little foggy along the creek to the south. We both were on stand before shooting time. I sat all day. Jeff went back to the cabin from 11-1:30. The farmers start to pick the corn just before dark. Neither of us saw any deer today.

Oct 11 About 47-50* with very little wind. We both got to our stand before shooting light. At 8:10 I had a small spike or 3 point come from the north and he did go all the way through to the fence crossing. At 10:15 Super Seven came from the south and I took the shot at him. I hit him a lot higher than I should have. As he ran after the shot I thought I saw the vanes of my arrow sticking just outside his body on his right side up very high just below the spine. He bled a bit, but the blood trail became hard to follow. He went down into the deep ravine on Jim’s and we never found blood after that. We searched for him to no avail. Later I did find the front half of my arrow behind where he stood. The blades were all bent to some degree. He had broken of half of the arrow going through the brush after the terrible hit. I have no idea what I did wrong.