Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How long does 777 last?

Smawgunner2

Athens County
I'm fairly new to muzzleloading but I have a 3 year old box of triple 7. I'm told this stuff is super sensitive to oils on your hand so I'm thinking any moisture and age might effect them. Thoughts? Use or bite the pellet and buy new?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Buy new if you can find it. I’ve had some for 3-4 years with no issues. Maybe I’ve just been lucky...

JMHO you will be fine this season, just try to make sure in the future you fire it off a couple times to make sure there are no powder issues. We have had cans of Pyrodex for many many years and they still go off as if it were new. Stored in a well sealed ammo can is probably the best way to help that too.

Reactions: Smawgunner2
I would take a lighter to it. I couldnt find any fffg pydrodex this year so i used some out of a can i probably bought five years ago. I touched it off with a match and it lit right off. That is what i am using this year.

Maybe I am completely weird. Hell. I won't even take my crossbow out without shooting it first. Lol

Nah your playing it smart Dave; which is rare for your dumbass Lol. confirm zero confirm zero confirm zero.

Reactions: Big_Holla and giles

Smawgunner2

Athens County
Maybe I am completely weird. Hell. I won't even take my crossbow out without shooting it first. Lol
Yeah, I'll zero my bow each year 1. Cause i don't have to clean it afterwards, 2. i don't have a hard case for it and it can get bumped around In my house. My rifles go right back in my safe from my back seat. I don't bang um around like a blind mans cane.

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
I won't use the pellets....but loose powder...Im still shooting 777 and pyrodex from when I was in NC...its going on 7 years now. Killed two with it this year.

Reactions: Big_Holla

Jal5

I have pellets and loose that are at least seven years old with no problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fletch

Supporting Member
My guns zero is checked maybe every 2 years... Number 1 I baby my firearms and bows... Nobody touches them... If your under me when I lower my bow or gun... Don't touch it, leave it hang ( I never have rope long where it touches ground )... Gun goes directly in a padded case in vehicle where it won't slide around... When I get home it goes directly in a safe and secure place... I would bet a ton of money that it's dead on every year... Now if I bump it... That's a different story... Off to the range I go... I haven't had my 870 out of the vault in 5 years... Checked it this year as I was going to use it... First 3 shots at 100 yds... I'd say it was good enough...
PXL_20201204_153742378.jpg

Reactions: Big_Holla