Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

how long to wait?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

What if i told you I know where one of these are right now. Just sitting in the woods in great condition.

http://www.cabelas.com/mowers-implements-atv-harrow-drag.shtml

I can't get a truck close to it so I would literally have to carry it... Alas, I'm lazy. If the price was right i might carry it out though.

Similar to that one, but not exactly. The one I'm thinking of has a heavy steel frame around the outside, and there's a lever in the center that changes the angle of the teeth... Basically, lever all the way down tilts the teeth to the flat position... lever pulled up tilts them to 90 degrees with the soil... and anywhere in between. It's kind of a heavy sumbitch. How far do you have to carry it?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Similar to that one, but not exactly. The one I'm thinking of has a heavy steel frame around the outside, and there's a lever in the center that changes the angle of the teeth... Basically, lever all the way down tilts the teeth to the flat position... lever pulled up tilts them to 90 degrees with the soil... and anywhere in between. It's kind of a heavy sumbitch. How far do you have to carry it?

100 yards up a hill and 200 to the truck. lol.. I'll carry it out and get some pics. If nothing else I'll throw it on Ebay.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
100 yards up a hill and 200 to the truck. lol.. I'll carry it out and get some pics. If nothing else I'll throw it on Ebay.

Dang that's a pretty good hike to be carrying/dragging one of them fuggers! Can't wait to see the pics... lmao

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
Weed killer, specifically glyphosphate, only kills actively growing plants. Therefore, one can spray and plant the same day. I have done this before with no ill effects on the desired plants. People who live a ways from their property do this to save time. Spray and plant the same day.

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
I've had a few guys that were experienced food-plotters recommend against using chain linked fence for a drag. According to them, dragging with a fence has a tendency to drag a lot of your seed into one spot, like where you make a sharp turn or something. This is pretty counterproductive, considering the effort gone through to ensure an even broadcast across the plot. As Jesse said, it can also result in burying certain seed too deep. A lawn roller or a packer is the way to go. Have you ever seen a farmer pull a chain linked fence across one of his fields? I haven't.... But I've seen them pull plenty of packers over their seed.

Nothing beats a culitpacker, period! My buddy and I don't have one so we use a drag harrow to firm plot and cover seed. Does it clump some together? Probably, but this is why I usually go a little bit higher on the seeding rate to compensate for this. I use a drag harrow to firm freshly tilled ground and to cover seed and my food plots look good.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nothing beats a culitpacker, period! My buddy and I don't have one so we use a drag harrow to firm plot and cover seed. Does it clump some together? Probably, but this is why I usually go a little bit higher on the seeding rate to compensate for this. I use a drag harrow to firm freshly tilled ground and to cover seed and my food plots look good.

Just spotted a 4' cultipacker in someone's yard today, all rusty and surrounded by 2' tall grass! I stopped in to make an offer on it but no one was around... damn!