Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How often can you hunt the same stand?

Kujo

Maumee, OH
I am a 2nd year hunter, and only have 1 stand to hunt this year. I want to hunt a lot, but don't want the deer to stay away from that spot if I am out there to much. I know a lot of the guys on here don't have this problem, but if you only had 1 spot to hunt, how often would you visit it?

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
I've hunted stands when people said they'd be burnt out because I hunted them too much, well, they never got burnt out. Who knows? Deer change their "patterns" for many different reasons, mostly because food or water sources dry up. In other words, I wouldn't worry too much about burning up a stand as long as you aren't hunting it every day.

IMO it all depends on the location of the stand

If the stand is back in a ways , you have to be carfull of how often you hunt it
Be super carefull of scent controll and try not bumping deer on the way in or out

But if you have a edge of cover stand , as I have several
I hunt them when ever the wind is in my favor

I put stands 10 -30" in from the edge
I place them to overlook where thick cover meets the Oaks or thick cover meets feild acess areas

I have a favorit that overloks a thickwoods edge where a stream crossing and corn feild meet
I have hunted it 10 evenings in a row and saw 4 - 10 deer each night

But the wind was blowing my scent into a worked open feild and my acess was from the open feild
So I wasn'r spooking deer

SO IMO it all depends on the location of the stand and wind direction

But having a number of stands to pick from
Is a must
As hunting a stand 1 time when the wind is wrong , can ruin the stand for weeks

John

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
If you are careful about scent control and try not to disturb the surroundings too much when entering and exiting your stand you should be O.K.

It's never too late to knock on some doors and line up some private spots. You might even try a couple different public spots, just to give yourself options.

welcome to the site by the way, glad to see some new folks joining in.:smiley_bril:

Kujo

Maumee, OH
Thanks for the info, and the welcoming me to the site. john I don't have any other spots to put a stand right now. I know that I need to get out there and knock on some more doors. I have another stand I can put up too, just need to find a spot. As far as public land, there are only a couple of spots with in an hour drive, one is small and i know 2 others that hunt it, and the Maumee State forest I have heard nothing but horror stories about.
I am a walleyerun.com guy, and I recognize a few others on here, but it looks like a great site. thanks

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
It all goes back to scent control and access, with access being number one in my opinion. If you are constantly bumping deer going to and leaving the stand, then they deer will pattern you long before you have a chance to do anything about it. As far as the scent control goes, I'd do your best to only hunt it when you have the best wind. Deer will tolerate a few scent based encounters, but you don't want to make a habit of hunting when the wind is at your back.

Good luck this fall and welcome to TOO.com! Glad to have you!!!

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
Like others have said if you can get in and out of it without distrubing too much you may be o.k. Another thought is to habg another stand in the same area to mix things up. I have three within like 75 yards of each other. I still mostly hunt the "primary" stand but if they bust me or I think they have figured me out I let that on cool down and hunt the others. All have produced deer.

I try and error on the side of caution and not hunt a good spot if I have any doubts about the wind or I think the deer are getting wise to the stand. I have "throwaway" spots I hunt if there is a swirling wind or other factor that I think will burn a good spot. The "throwaway" spots have at times produced deer and sightings but are not my go to spots.

Good to see you and so many other warreyerun guys over here!!

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
Like others have said if you can get in and out of it without distrubing too much you may be o.k. Another thought is to habg another stand in the same area to mix things up. I have three within like 75 yards of each other. I still mostly hunt the "primary" stand but if they bust me or I think they have figured me out I let that on cool down and hunt the others. All have produced deer.

I try and error on the side of caution and not hunt a good spot if I have any doubts about the wind or I think the deer are getting wise to the stand. I have "throwaway" spots I hunt if there is a swirling wind or other factor that I think will burn a good spot. The "throwaway" spots have at times produced deer and sightings but are not my go to spots.

Good to see you and so many other warreyerun guys over here!!

Dang, Randy! You have to be in the lead for the new membership drive and gift card...

;)