Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

how to draw a deer in early in the season?

Kujo

Maumee, OH
I have been seeing a lot of deer on the property to the north, and I am not allowed to hunt it. this is a thick wooded area, and there aren't many game trails right by me. I tried a doe grunt today, and the 10 point 100 yards away, on the game trail, took off running the other way. I set a salt rock in one spot, and a gravity corn feeder in another, but no action in front of me. What other options are there? or is it just wait till acorns and other food are gone, and wait till they start hitting the corn hard?

Went out am today. saw 1 possum, 2 rabbits, 11 squirrels, 4 toms, and 1 10 point buck. coulda stuck 3 of the 4 toms from my stand.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The deer aren't going to mess with the salt until spring. The corn the will start to hit hard once the crops and acorns are cleaned up some and or they are hungry.. For now though, Apples.. Lots and lots of apples.. I'm talking like 55 gal drum full of apples..

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
Sounds like your property might get really hot around the end of Oct. through Nov. Hang in there, bud.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
The deer aren't going to mess with the salt until spring. The corn the will start to hit hard once the crops and acorns are cleaned up some and or they are hungry.. For now though, Apples.. Lots and lots of apples.. I'm talking like 55 gal drum full of apples..

Ditto. Apples are as a legit bait as you can get. Deer love 'em...

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
Apples may work but right now there are so many acorns in our area nobody I have talked to is having much luck with any sort of bait. Wait till the snow flies in Dec. and Jan.!!! Keep your feeder going, knowing the area you hunt, come late season that spot is going to be awesome!

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I have a ton of corn out, its getting hit but with all the acorns on the ridge, its not getting hit as hard as it will here in a month or two.

Kujo

Maumee, OH
There a a ton of acorns on the ground. And i have a feeling it will pick up in a month or so. I was talking to a guy the other week that has 8 deer in a pen that he takes care of, and he said they love pumpkins almost as much as apples! those 8 deer will eat a 25 lbs. pumpkin in about a day. seeds, inside, then rhine. hadn't heard of baiting with pumpkins, but may though some down and give it a try at the end of Oct.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Apples, apples, and more apples... fill the back of a pickup and dump that many in one spot... the deer will come. This time of year, people will appreciate you picking up apples out of their yards so go knock on some doors. An even better bait pile would be a mixture of apples AND acorns. I dumped 55 gallons of apples and 55 gallons of acorns in one spot last fall (breaking a leaf spring in the process LOL), in an attempt to help my brother harvest his first deer. Well the little sumbeech never got a chance to hunt over it, but I could see the pile from one of my stands and the bucks came every night, about an hour before sunrise... they couldn't get enough man.