Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hoyt is loud when shooting

PSE13

Shelby
That’s a good thought! It was supposed to be “tuned” when I bought it new but lord knows if it was.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Can you get it too someone who can relieve the tension on the cables and check for any abnormalities or play in the pulleys?

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
Why does cam lean exist?
There are a number of factors that can contribute to, and/or generate cam lean. The primary reason cam lean exists it because of the variation in loading on the axle throughout the draw cycle. When a bow is drawn the limbs are being flexed and building energy, and as the draw weight climbs and falls into the let off, the tensions on the strings and cables change. At full draw, the string has very little tension and the cables have their maximum amount, while a rested bow has little tension in the cables and a lot of tension in the strings. This change in tension throughout the draw cycle will force the axle and cam to change its position relative to the bows vertical plane.

Other factors that can influence cam lean would be the limb deflections from one side of the cam to the other. If the cable side limb is stiffer than the string side it can influence the lean of the cam (or vice versa). The position of the cam (left and right) will also determine the lean of the cam. This goes back to the position of the weight or tension on the axle. On a right handed bow, moving the cam to the right will cause the cam to lean away from the cables, and moving the cam to the left will cause the cam to lean towards the cables. Most modern bows use spacers to locate the position of the cams on the axle, which can be adjusted to change the lean of the bow.

Reactions: PSE13

Stressless

Keene, OH
Strings and cables are are still factory but in great condition.

What year is the bow? As in how old are the original cables/strings - they "May look good" but years of tension will take the old strings cables out of tolerances... my bow (not a hoyt but a decent compound) is 11 y/o today and I've had the string/cables replaces twice and I can tell you that makes a Yyyuuuggeee difference. As has been discussed here - tuning - but you need to get it back to specs first - order a set of replacement string/cables and have them installed by a pro listed above. IF it's giving you noise and tuning fits after that your adjustments will be aligned with the factory specs due to tightened up tolerances of the new wire/string.

1632147600949.png

PSE13

Shelby
The bow is 2016 model. I understand that string should be replaced often. It’s done it since new off the shelf. The odd thing is I had my bow in the shop Saturday to have a new rest installed. I asked about the rouge strings the offer and was told it’s a 6-8 week waiting period. He looked at my strings and said they don’t look like they need replaced. I also asked to have it tuned but he told me I’d have to bring it back during the week because they were too busy on the weekend. I can tell it needs tuned because the arrow IMO flys like trash.

Stressless

Keene, OH
@PSE13 - the Hoyt site says - "wear is evident -or- two years" I've never had evident wear but def changed mine out even if a year or so past the manufacturers guide (two years) yours are 5-6 y/o strings. I think, I'ld place a bet, based on my reuslts from replacing the strings you'll be chasing 'tuning ghosts' until you get it back in specs. It may not be news you were looking for - I wish you well... let us know how it turns out.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I understand that. I also understand that there will never be no noise while shooting. I’m taking it to have it tuned after work today because there’s a noticeable amount of cam lean on the top cam. You and see the cam and leaning one way and the string heading the other way. Probably not good for it.
Keep us posted on your findings. Hopefully a little bit of yoke tuning will fox the cam lean. Worst case it could be a limb crack or worn out bushing leading to the cam lean.

Reactions: PSE13 and Cogz

Milo

Tatonka guide.
This is fun isn’t it? Hoyt strings are fine and if wear in minimal i’d keep them. If you can see your arrows flying bad your out of tune. Sync cams, reset center shot and it will go away. It sounds like you have energy waves hitting differently because your cams are stopping at different times. Can lean will be dependent on how your bow fits and you hold it.

PSE13

Shelby
Okay y’all here’s the update. Took it to the bow shop and looked everything over. Found both cams were outta time. He adjusted the cam timing. Then we went over and paper tuned with fletched arrows. Tweaked that some and got it shooting like it should. Had monkey tails put on it. He only charged me for the monkey tails ($5). Took it home and shot it and WOW what a difference. Now this is a Hoyt I can be happy with. Arrow flight looks great and it’s waayy more quite then it was. I can say I never knew a outta tune bow could be so noisy.

My Hoyt's regularly paid for themselves when shooting at Abe Lincoln's taped to the target at 30 yards. Like I said at the top.
It should shoot and be quiet. I knew you needed someone who knew what they were doing to look it over for you. There are those who can tune and the rest of us who let our emotions get in the way at times. The average bow hunter kills .38 deer per bow purchased. The only sportsman worse is the golfers who have 10 drivers and 23 putters standing in the garage. Every major bow manufacturer and most small manufacturers make amazing bows and crossbows today, but with the advancements brings the need for great technicians to tune them for maximum performance.

Glad to hear you found one close and got it done right with little cost!