Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hoyts 2012-13 hunting story

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Looking forward to dragging a deer with you my friend!

Likewise Dale!

Had another fine sit this morning. I can't remember having two morns that where so peaceful and tranquil back to back like I have experienced in the past two. Saw a doe and she crossed my path at 42 yds. slightly quartering to and on a jog. She wasn't spooked but knew where she wanted to be and it wasn't in the middle of the field. Saw enough geese fly over that they could have carried a elephant off.

Sightings
Bucks-1
Does-3
Button bucks-2
Coyote-1

Hours on stand-9

Harvest
Buck-0
Does-0

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Things have slowed down so I should update this. Went out Monday evening and ended up seeing a total of 5 deer, while harvesting one of the 5.

Sightings
Bucks-1
Does-8
Button bucks-2
Coyotes-1

Hours on stand- 9.5

Harvest
Bucks-0
Does-1

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Got to get out this morning but it wasn't as productive as I was hoping. Didn't see anything but three turkeys. Had a doe blowing at me from behind at 7:50, sure she didn't see me moving as the tree was between her and I. I was smoked up really good, the only thing I cam think of is that I had just taken a piss from the stand maybe 5 minutes prior and it probably had a good hint of Maxwell House.

Sightings
Bucls-1
Does-8
Button bucks-2
Coyotes -1
Turkeys-3

Hours in stand-12.5

Harvest
Bucks-0
Does-1

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
What an absolutely beautiful morning to be in a stand this morning. Had two doe right before legal light at 5 yds. If they would have came about ten minutes earlier the larger one would have had some issues. Ended up blasting a ground hog through the head. Must have been right below the brain because I watched him walk around with my arrow sticking out both sides of his head for a couple minutes before he tried backing down his hole. I was able to get my arrow back but he made it far enough in his hole I couldn't get pics.

The sun shimmering off the frost on an october aged bean field was gorgeous.

View attachment 10337

Sighting

Bucks-1
Does-10
Button bucks -2
Coyotes -1
Turkeys-9

Hours on stand-15.5

Harvest
Bucks-0
Does-1
Groundhog-1

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
It about time I up date this. Had a total of four sits while down at strouds. The first two where skunks with the other two hunts seeing a spike each hunt.

Went out tonight with all the rain. Didn't see a thing but the temps are dropping and looking forward to seeing what the morning is going to bring.

Sightings
Bucks -3
Does-10
Button bucks -2
Coyotes-1
Turkeys-9

Hours on stand - 30

Harvest
Buck-0
Does-1
Groundhog-1

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Been up since four. It is still raining pretty good. It supposed to stop around nine. Think I am going to try and sneak in right as the rain is stopping and sit through lunch. Never really tried that before so we will see what happens.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Started in this morning after it was light. I saw a lone button buck on my way in. That was it as far as deer sightings. Did hear a turkey sounding off shortly after nine. The rain lasted a little bit longer than I thought it would, which sucked. First time on this property this year. Been saving it but I think in vain. Saw a ladder stand that had been messed with and called the land owner. He said he had given a neighbor permission to hunt but only if I wasn't going to be in there. So I have first rights, but needless to say I have yet to get one phone call from this guy asking if o was going to be hunting. Oh well I did find some pretty sweet sign. I would love to see the guy that is doing this damage.
uploadfromtaptalk1351353963464.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1351354019296.jpg

Going back in a hour or so. I am taking in the millinium and setting up on a corner that I never could before. I know deer always use this corner. Excited for what I might see.

Sightings
Bucks-3
Does -10
Button bucks-3
Coyotes-1
Turkeys-9

Hours on stand-33

Harvest
Buck-0
Does-1
Groundhog-1

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I had just got done hanging my second LW stick and had a button buck at 20 yds. Rain is done with some north wind but nothing to bad. Should have some good sightings.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
To catch back up om this thread. The evening of my last post I ended up seeing two does, one of which I thought was a buck at first because of the size of her body. Had a sit Wednesday evening in the rain and got skunked.

This morning I was seeing deer from the word go. Wasn't even in my stand and had a small one walk to within five steps of me before turning around and going the other direction.

Had deer in the pasture at first shooting light. Had 6 doe grazing for about a hour, (two mature each with two yearnings), before the first buck (a basket 8) showed, I then got to watch him push these deer around the pasture for a good 45 minutes. Then another basket 8 showed up and I thought I was going to witness my first bucks fighting, but no such luck. Once these deer cleared the pasture a yearling doe appeared and made her way ny my stand, I opted not to tale her in hopes that one of the mature does would show back up. About 15 minutes later I had a spike with a kicker make his way ny my stand. After that I saw nothing else till I got out of the stand around 11.

Sightings
Bucks - 6
Does -17
Button bucks -4
Coyote-1
Turckeys-9

Hours on stand-43

Harvest

Buck-0
Does-1
Groundhog-1