Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting Boot Recommendations

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
In the market for a pair of boots. I was in Des Moines yesterday and tried on a pair of Crispies and really liked them. I am not in a super hurry, so does anyone know if they run ‘black Friday’ sales in them? I’m willing to wait a few months to save some decent coin.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I got my Crispi boots on Camofire when they were running a deal. I love the heck out of them. I would wear them more if it wasn't for wet grass and creeks as they aren't a knee-high boot. I probably out 150 miles on them in Az and another 100 here. Never had a single issue and they have great traction and toe grip when climbing rocks or banks.

Jamie

Ohio
Me either. I think this is the longest I have worn a pair of gore-tex boots without a leak. I have three pairs of Meindl boots that have not leaked yet. These are extremely well made boots at that price point. I’ve put a bunch of miles on two pairs squirrel hunting. Comfortable dry feet all day long.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Me either. I think this is the longest I have worn a pair of gore-tex boots without a leak. I have three pairs of Meindl boots that have not leaked yet. These are extremely well made boots at that price point. I’ve put a bunch of miles on two pairs squirrel hunting. Comfortable dry feet all day long.
my cabelas meindl collaboration ones leaked after one year....i actually think that was the reason i started this thread

Jamie

Ohio
my cabelas meindl collaboration ones leaked after one year....i actually think that was the reason i started this thread
The first pair of Meindl boots I had were from Cabela's and they did leak after two seasons. I liked them so much that I gave them another try. The other three pairs I bought directly from Meindl, and the boots were slightly different than the Cabela's version; better. They are all the exact same boot but uninsulated, 400 gram and 800 gram. I wear these almost exclusively for deer hunting and squirrel hunting.

I wear my Crispi boots for work (which is what I actually got them for), cutting firewood, yard work, mushroom hunting, etc. I have worn them quite a lot. I wear them when I'm power washing and my feet never get wet unless it wicks in from my socks/pant legs. These are probably the best boots I have ever owned.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Another good thing about Crispi boots is you can get them resoled. Have a pair I have been wearing at work for 2.5 years. Gonna send em in and see how they are when finished. The boots are still in great shape I have just worn the soles down at work.

Tommy g

Nj
Personally I like the old mucks, switched to Danner 400 & 800. I do regret not buying the crispi on sale they are the same price as Danner or equal. Both are good boots next time around crispi , on sale whether camo fire or black Ovis it’s the same price. Funny thing is we spend $200 on keen or close to it wear them every day
But we hesitate for shit we wear during our time. I was always hesitant because I never liked the rigid sole. Next time going for it
The reality is we spend tons of money and always wish we had better.

Jamie

Ohio
At some point things just don’t get appreciably better they get “different”. Shoes, especially hunting boots, are uniquely specific to our feet and our needs. Takes lots of trial and error to find what works best for each of us. The next step for me will be a truly custom made boot, but doubt I will ever bother unless I win the lottery.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Been wearing one of my pairs of crispi boots to work last 2.5 years..sent them in to put new treads on them. Guy in Colorado does them for $95. The boots are in great shape so this was a good option for me. Well worth it.
Screenshot_20231114_144133_Gallery.jpg
20231114_143904.jpg