Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting Safety - 2020

Wanted to share a couple of hunting accidents that happened over the weekend here in Michigan. Michigan had their early youth gun season Saturday and Sunday on private land. It's usually a very safe time for these new hunters but not this year. While it is early in the investigation on these it is unfortunately a good reminder to make sure you are there with your kids as they are learning the do's and dont's while hunting.

The first one baffles me. Apparently the teen was dropped off to hunt a cornfield without supervision and was somehow ran over by a combine.

https://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw-...oYOY2CF9zLJ0c6eA881vKU-lmtOaF7u0xb0Y6ByG4yJ9s

The second hits close to home, literally! Two kids shot. This happened on the next road over from the backside of our property where we live. Although the reporting is vague in what happened it sounds like they may have been allowed to hunt without supervision. Not sure if these are classmates of Allen or perhaps younger. I will update when we know more.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news...bowi7g7o5HucJSTWkHN0GBdWpJS3FbNrQJFPukO4Ylkq4

I hope we all have the safest season ever, good luck to you all and watch over those new hunters!!

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Been thinking how the first one might have happened.

I bet he was in a ground blind at the edge of the field looking into another field or maybe a food plot or bait pile. The chopper was making the first pass around the field. The kid fell asleep in a comfy chair and when he finally heard the chopper he couldn’t get out fast enough.

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
Been thinking how the first one might have happened.

I bet he was in a ground blind at the edge of the field looking into another field or maybe a food plot or bait pile. The chopper was making the first pass around the field. The kid fell asleep in a comfy chair and when he finally heard the chopper he couldn’t get out fast enough.

Yep dang strange

I agree, definitely an odd accident. I was thinking that maybe the cornfield had already had some cut and they seized the opportunity to sit in the remaining standing corn to watch over the cut part. That or like you said Sam, overlooking another field from the standing corn.

On the one near our home the last story we read on it is the step-father was being held by our Twp. PD as a felon in possession of a firearm. Like you said Sam, sounds like he was the one hunting. We drove around last night to see if we could figure out which property it happened on and how close to behind ours it was. There were several cars there and people, probably 3-4 properties to the West of us.

Just now....

"The stepfather is expected to be arraigned Wednesday on charges of involuntary manslaughter, two counts of felony firearms second offense, firearms possession by felon, ammunition possession by felon and a habitual fourth violent offender, according to prosecutors. "

Reactions: Geezer II

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
Just now....

"The stepfather is expected to be arraigned Wednesday on charges of involuntary manslaughter, two counts of felony firearms second offense, firearms possession by felon, ammunition possession by felon and a habitual fourth violent offender, according to prosecutors. "
Wow - ya think he shot the mother