Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting shows

deerburger

*Supporting Member*
I just got cable for the first time in a long time. Now that I can watch hunting shows in the evening, I've found out that a lot of them are crap with some good ones mixed in. Are there any bow hunting shows that you guys like? It is hard to find many that aren't taking high fence deer from heated blinds at 200 yards with a rifle.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
If you get the Sportsmens Channel, check out Red Arrow TV. (You can also watch shows on their website.) Kip and Kat Campbell are real world hunters and true down to earth folks. Several of us have had the pleasure of sharing a campfire with them and I'm here to tell you, they are worth watching.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I agree deerburger. 90% of them are crap. I don't watch hardly any of them anymore. I had the pleasure of meeting Kip and Kat around the same fire as Jesse and I'll tell ya he's a hoot. Ole boy hunts hard, has a great outlook, and tries to get it done, and if he doesn't it's still a fun show to watch... He's basically just one of us dedicated hunters, except taking it big time. Plus he was a southern boy like myself... Ad that never hurts :)

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
There is a show on outdoor channel called "On your own adventures". It is 100 % public land, no guides, no outfitters. The guys name is Randy and he mainly concentrates on elk and mule deer but he occasionaly goes after a whitetail. I really enjoyed the colorado big horn episode if you can catch it on a rerun.

I watch that show when I see it is on (which I believe is sunday nights).

The other shows I tune into would be "spirit of the wild" because uncle ted cracks me up, and any show that has Tiffany Lakosky or Gina Brunson in them, I dont think I need to say why I watch those.....:smiley_babe: insert wolf whistle smiley here.

deerburger

*Supporting Member*
and any show that has Tiffany Lakosky or Gina Brunson in them, I dont think I need to say why I watch those.....:smiley_babe: insert wolf whistle smiley here.

Yeah, I know what you mean. They are really accurate archers.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
When I was home over the Summer I was amazed at how crappy hunting shows have become. However there were a few that were ok. I always liked the shows by Eastmans. I think that was mainly because they hunted out West.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Another good show to watch is "Spook Nation" with Spook Spann. He is a hardcore bowhunter that has taken som giant bucks with archery equipment and it seems he does it the right way. The show is a little over the top, but it is pretty cool overall and I believe he has some good information to share.

Another really good show and one of my favorites is "relentless pursuit" with Tim Wells. That guy can make some awesome archery kills and the show is highly entertaining.

I refuse to watch anything with kieth or allen warren in it. Those guys are jackasses in the highest as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Heartland Bowhunter, Relentless Pursuit, Easton Bowhunting, Bowhunter TV, Eastmans and Speargun hunter... I watch Gold Fever too.. that dude is livin the dream.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Since switching from Direct TV back to cable, I elected not to upgrade and get any of the outdoor channels. I miss watching a few shows, but for the most part, the majority of them are crap. I did like many of the same ones mentioned like Heartland Bowhunter, Relentless Pursuit, and The Duck Commander is good just from a comedic perspective.

Any of you guys subscribe to Bill Winke's Midwest Whitetail show? That's another one that I like because you're basically getting everyday hunters, filming their hunts, and it's literally a week old. It's worth checkin' out. It gets sent to my email once a week and I can watch it as time allows.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Since switching from Direct TV back to cable, I elected not to upgrade and get any of the outdoor channels. I miss watching a few shows, but for the most part, the majority of them are crap. I did like many of the same ones mentioned like Heartland Bowhunter, Relentless Pursuit, and The Duck Commander is good just from a comedic perspective.

Any of you guys subscribe to Bill Winke's Midwest Whitetail show? That's another one that I like because you're basically getting everyday hunters, filming their hunts, and it's literally a week old. It's worth checkin' out. It gets sent to my email once a week and I can watch it as time allows.

I do the Midwest Whitetail. Jason Huntsman, the Ohio host, has become what I would call a friend. We email and talk often. He's as good a guy as you can find. He did a ton of filming for others before he got into this with Damon. They do a great job.

I'm about to expand our package so I can get VS and Sportsmens Channel. Sucks to pay $10 more a month for two channels, but what's a man to do?!?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I held off for a long time Jesse. Two months ago I opted for the better cable package simply to get SPortsman's Channel and Outdoor channel. The only other benefit was about 25-30 more HD channels. Some were repeats such as Fox News/Fox News HD, but I can live with it. Having more HD channels to choose during football season isn't bad either!