Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I Attended a Coyote Seminar

This past Wednesday, I attended a Coyote Seminar, at the Champaign County Community Center in Urbana. The Ohio DNR, an OSU Branch employee and a young gentleman/coyote hunter by the name of Austin Crumley, were the hosts.

It was impressive, due to the equipment and tactics used for night hunting. Austin had the latest in electronics. A thermal imaging scope for his rifle, a hand held thermal imaging scanner to locate and identify, and an electronic caller and a $300 tripod to hold his rifle while shooting it. In just a few short months he has killed 57 coyotes and the fur buyer in his area has been paying an average of $30 per coyote. That's an amazing amount of kills and money to show for his efforts. :cool: The fur buyer in my area is closer to $15 to $20. Austin is from Madison County.

After the seminar, we were offered the chance to look through the thermal imaging scopes. The clarity was impressive, as was the ability to identify "heat print" of people, dogs and vehicles. What wasn't impressive was the price tag! o_O $2700 for the rifle scope and $1400 for the hand held viewer. I may have to look into a credit card with 3 years financing and 0% interest. :unsure: It's easy to see and understand the greatly increased success rate with this type of technology working for the hunter.

The big question: Is it worth it?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

Reactions: Sgt Fury

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I looked into that seminar but opted not to go. I have also been looking into some ATN scopes. Even the "low end" was $500-600. Your dude sounds like he has quite the set up. Invest $3-5k for $15-30/coyote return. Not including hours on stand, time to skin, etc., that is a long return on investment.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I looked into that seminar but opted not to go. I have also been looking into some ATN scopes. Even the "low end" was $500-600. Your dude sounds like he has quite the set up. Invest $3-5k for $15-30/coyote return. Not including hours on stand, time to skin, etc., that is a long return on investment.
It’s hunting, what’s the investment return you speak of???? 😂

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I know him and his cousin, David. They like toys for killing critters I spoke with both of them last February. David was anxiously awaiting the arrival of his new scope and wanted to hunt the gar hole farm. I told him to have at it but I don’t think they got around to it. I hope to see them in action this winter as I think that would be a lot of fun. They claim the yotes are way less spooky and more apt to come to the call at night. With the pile of pelts you mentioned, I’d say that’s accurate. I doubt seriously there are many daylight hunters that kill that many Ohio yotes in a decade.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It’s hunting, what’s the investment return you speak of???? 😂

My return is enjoyment, meat in the freezer, and sanity.

BH57 was mentioning numbers of coyote killed and fur prices. I think we would all agree: Most of us would never sell enough fur to cover the cost of these toys. I don't think BH57 was thinking it was realistic but rather he was laughing at the costs.

Hickslawns,
FYI.... There's no time invested in skinning a coyote. Fur buyers prefer to skin them, themselves. At least the ones that I've dealt with would rather you just flop the dog on the counter and they'll give you the cash.

As for the cost...nutz! I know from experience that the success rate for night time calling is much higher. However, I enjoy getting to see the coyotes come to the call/decoy. If the thermal equipment was more reasonably priced, it would be a different story.

Bowhunter57

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I've kept a pretty good eye on NAFA the past few years. Most of your abundant fur like coon, muskrat, and even baver is in the crapper. Surprisingly predator fur is doing good. Fox, bobcate, yote linx have a strong demand and fetch good prices. Eastern coyote averaged $44 and western are over $100 average with 100% of both selling.

Selling locally to a fur buyer will knock that price down considerably, especially on the caracas or as they call "round". They still have to skin, stretch, and ship it to nafa. But at an average of $44 a hide at auction with %100 clearance theres plenty left on the bone for them to purchase from you at 20-30 a pelt. Personally I would sell him any average yote in the round, but any prime or color phase ones I would ship to NAFA myself.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
We have sold coyotes to at least 5 different fur buyers over the last 15 years and 10 bucks seems to be top dollar any of them are willing to pay. Hanneman included.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
We have sold coyotes to at least 5 different fur buyers over the last 15 years and 10 bucks seems to be top dollar any of them are willing to pay. Hanneman included.

Interesting. Have you sold to them recently? It's really been this year and last that the NAFA prices for yotes took off.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
We have just sold them what I would consider locally to nw Ohio and NE Indiana fur buyers. Last year we killed 72 coyotes out of the few guys I hunt with and I don't remember getting more than 10 or 12 dollars for any of the top ones.

After the seminar, we were offered the chance to look through the thermal imaging scopes. The clarity was impressive, as was the ability to identify "heat print" of people, dogs and vehicles. What wasn't impressive was the price tag! o_O $2700 for the rifle scope and $1400 for the hand held viewer. I may have to look into a credit card with 3 years financing and 0% interest. :unsure: It's easy to see and understand the greatly increased success rate with this type of technology working for the hunter.

The big question: Is it worth it?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

$2700 and $1400 are on the cheaper end for these products usually for previous generation technology and for basic level units. I know a guy that has a Flir Scout II Monocular that he uses for scanning to reduce use of lights (i.e. he suggests it has increased his kill rate substantially) which is a $3000 unit and I would argue a middle of the road thermal monocular. Something like a Trijicon Mark II Rifle Scope is around $5000.

As far as "worth it" most of these guys a realistic and are not in the sport for money. It's a hobby and like all of us spending a few grand on a hobby is not out of the norm. I know plenty of people that spend thousands to Ski or race cars all of which has no return on investment.

Personally I think it is really awesome and hope to see it legal within all states in recent time but realistically know that is not going to happen.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
This is who I sell to. This video has some good info

Thanks for posting this very well informed video!

I thought it was excellent and just so you know, I'm not on 'Facebook', that's why I appreciate you for posting it cause I would've never seen it otherwise.

I'll be honest, I haven't done anything with the coyotes that I've killed except for my very first one that I took with a bow.

Going forward now, I know what's worth salvaging thanks to this video.

Reactions: oakswamper