Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I hate deer hunting

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Why do I keep doing this to myself? I waste my whole summer scouting, and setting up trail cams.When i should be at the beach bikini watching or something.
When season comes around what do I do? get out of bed a lot earlier than I would like to on a weekend, shower and get all this stuff together so I can go out in the cold and strap myself to a tree in the cold. For what?...

...So I can watch birds!

Deer? no, not even a stinkin squirrel, much less a deer.

what a waste of time, Not even mentioning how much money we spend on this crap. Time and money that could be spent with family and friends.

stupid deer....

...stupid hunting....

I just wish I could go tonight.

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
332 there's one out there with your name on it. You don't go 1023 will git it!:smiley_bril::smiley_adfundum:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Been there. Done that. Bought the T-shirt.
Fortunately, I thrive on rejection.

After a 10 year dry spell, I slowly came back w/ 1 deer a year. 1 deer a year for the last 5 or 6 years... then last year I took 3.(2 bow, 1 gun) My best year ever. This year. well, its starting off like yours but we will be out there. Sitting in a tree looking for a stupid deer.
Because its still better than a day in a office...

Hang in there. Its early

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I cannot get motivated to go this year. I went twice and saw deer both times but also had people on the property and I just don't wanna deal with it.... We will see if I even go again between now a November????

Beentown

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I know what you mean too Dante. You described about 141 hrs of the 141.25 hrs I spent on stand last year. Good thing those two deaf/retarded/ and blind deer came by my stand during the other 15 minutes of my season!

Last edited:

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Great question.... Why do we get up earlier on the weekend to hunt than we do during the week for work?

Most of the time that question goes through our heads as we sit and see nothing, but then the buck you waited all year for walks into range and in that 10 seconds your season becomes one to remember. It only takes one time out to change the season. Heck, it only takes one time out to erase that sour memories of 2 or 3 seasons.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I think we have all been there or are there now Dante. I hunted 6 straight days of all day sits on public last year during the 1st two weeks of November and never saw a deer. Last couple times out till last night I hadn't seen deer on a piece of property that I am hunting for the first time this season. I was starting to hit that low last night but then when I was scanning left to right all of a sudden I was like "fu ck, thats a deer"...with excitement like I had never seen a doe before.

Keep your head up and keep after them. Like Cotty said, just takes a few seconds to make your season(s).

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I'm on the other side of things... I've only been able to go out twice since the start of season, and it's killin' me. It's all I think about, and all I want to do. My work schedule is ridiculously busy right now, the family social calendar seems like it has no end, and it seems like everywhere I go I talk to somebody who just killed a big buck!!!

Keep at it Dante322, at least you're out there strapped to a tree!!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hang in there Dante! It ain't even began to start getting good yet. In another week the light switch will be flipped.:smiley_bril:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I was in the same boat on Saturday buddy but I went back at it later that afternoon lol. BTW, I have some stuff to show you on the property west of town I think might kick ya back in gear. I know it did for me :D.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Hi Dante - my name is Dan, and I'm a deer hunting addict.\

It's bad. Real bad.

So bad, that I've spent assloads of money on this hobby.
So bad, that I can't concentrate at work. Seriously. I gotta get this shit under control.
So bad, that after finishing my chores Saturday, I went out to squeeze in a short hunt Saturday afternoon. Had asked the neighbors over for a bonfire at 7:30. Built the fire before I left, got back at 7:20 and lit the fire. Still in my Carhartts, stayed in my Carhartts, smoking myself throughout the evening. Left my guests at 11:00pm to drive 1.5hrs to Adams County to sleep and be up on stand at 7:15 and was pissed cause I shoulda been out 30 mins earlier.
It's bad.

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
Guys I am going to make a blanket statement. It may not apply to you and then again in future years it may well! I turned 70 this year. I have fought Arthritis since I was 17. I have not hunted at all the lest two years for a variety of reasons. The "desire" stirred again this year. But it was/is not a raging fire. DO IT while you can. Once you stop/sloe down it will be harder than hell to restart. I NEVER though the day would come when I would not want/feel like hunting. Age can be a debilitating circumstance. Enjoy the years you have left out there!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Hi Dante - my name is Dan, and I'm a deer hunting addict.\

It's bad. Real bad.

So bad, that I've spent assloads of money on this hobby.
So bad, that I can't concentrate at work. Seriously. I gotta get this shit under control.
So bad, that after finishing my chores Saturday, I went out to squeeze in a short hunt Saturday afternoon. Had asked the neighbors over for a bonfire at 7:30. Built the fire before I left, got back at 7:20 and lit the fire. Still in my Carhartts, stayed in my Carhartts, smoking myself throughout the evening. Left my guests at 11:00pm to drive 1.5hrs to Adams County to sleep and be up on stand at 7:15 and was pissed cause I shoulda been out 30 mins earlier.
It's bad.

That's pretty damn funny! That is also something only we could understand.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Well said Cob. Couldn't agree more about taking advantage of the time we have to get our butts out there because the day will come for all of us that we will be sitting in the chair wishing our bodies would allow us to go.