Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I never understood why guys shoot squirrels just to shoot them

P8riot

Carbon, In
Now I do...

1000010723.jpg
1000010722.jpg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
They’ve gnawed on:

Garden Hoses
Spa
Spa steps
Truck bumpers, rims and step sides
Trailer wires and rims
Boiler wires/ panel
Wicker furniture
Planter pots
Patio table

Just off the top of my head I can think of.

Jamie

Ohio
lots of wire casings, especially on cars, have soy in them. attracts rodents. maybe other stuff like garden hoses and trail cameras do too? I've had squirrels chew on cast aluminum tree stands.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have to consistently keep them thinned out around here. Sometimes I'll look out my office window and see 7-8 in the front yard then there will be 10+ in the back yard. I've shot about 7 in the last week and still have 4-5 in the backyard. My neighbors who don't shoot them are both having problems with squirrels in their soffit.

P8riot

Carbon, In
I have joked to my wife that if the deer ever disappear, we could survive on squirrels. Maybe it's time to get a .17HMR or a better .22LR than what I have! I don't have a lot sitting outside, just my truck and a recent project truck I acquired. Maybe they will chew the rust off of it for me?!

Last edited:
Had a client with 2 giant Oak trees in her back yard. The squirrels would pack her Toyota Corolla with nuts every year. They chewed holes in the wiper shroud along the hood, one one each end where the shroud plastic met the intersection of the hood and fender by the windshield. When I would pull in her driveway there would be one sitting on each side of her windshield eating a nut. They wrecked that car! She finally had the trees taken down. You've all seen my woodpile thanks to those little rascals. The week before the trees were taken down, which was 2 weeks late due to the tree company being backed up, she had taken delivery of a brand new Corolla. They had already chewed the 2 holes in the new car's shroud in preparation for nut season...

I can't bring my self to shoot Fox Squirrels as they are so laid back and hang out with me when I'm deer hunting. I shoot greys and blacks when someone wants a meal of fried squirrel as my bride's family is from Kentucky. But the red's and chipmunks? Kill em all. They live to scold me for hours on end when they find me in the woods. around the house all vermin get the poison treatment and the neighbor's cat is my hero he makes fishers look like vegetarians.

Big H

Medina
I bought a Henry Garden Gun (smoothbore .22) specifically for all the red squirrels and chipmunks around here a couple years ago. I think I may have a thread somewhere about it? It is a great addition to the collection. First year, 22 red squirrels and 16 or so chipmunks met their demise. My Boykins were retrieving them after I shot them from multiple windows on the house. I saw one red squirrel last summer and the chipmunk population is minimal. I actually miss shooting the little bastards, so I am hoping for some newcomers this spring. The Henry is sitting next to the bedroom window just waiting for something to show up. I am getting ready to thin out some of the sparrows soon.

I used to own a Hyundai 2-door hatchback. My boss always made fun of it, as he disliked anything Korean and joked about it being ran by hamsters. :ROFLMAO:

One day as I was leaving work, I started it and it typically ran very quietly, but this time it had a horrible chatter/squawking noise. :oops: I popped the hood, stepped out and as soon as I raised the hood a fox squirrel ran out from under it. :rolleyes: I thought my boss was going to piss himself, he was laughing so hard. :ROFLMAO: After he recovered, he said, "I owe you an apology. Apparently, those Koreans have upgraded from hamsters to fox squirrels." :sneaky:

I carried a loaded shotgun in the car for a few weeks, in an attempt to get the varmint. ☠️