Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Image Auto Resizer test

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Test.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
So what's this gonna do, Joe? I resized some pics on my computer before uploading them yesterday, thinking they'd upload faster.... which they did... Only problem was, they aren't anywhere close to being as sharp and clear as the originals.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
So what's this gonna do, Joe? I resized some pics on my computer before uploading them yesterday, thinking they'd upload faster.... which they did... Only problem was, they aren't anywhere close to being as sharp and clear as the originals.

Trying to make them larger in the posts. If you attached them to a post our Max is set to 128kb. Or 0.125mb... Doesn't sound like much I know considering most cams take pics exceeding 1.5mb.. but consider load times / views / and monthly totals. Say we have a thread with 15 images on one page. That's 1.8mb load every time someone opens that page. Times that times hundreds of views. Say 200. And you get 360mb of bandwidth usage. For one page.... Times that times hundreds of pages in the TC section. It's 78 gigs of bandwidth....

Larger images don't matter. Clarity is what causes them to be large.

With that being said. I think our max pic size for allowable attachment is larger than 90% of the forums out there. I just need to get the sizing right and make them fit to everyone's page width.

Sharp and clear = slower load times in pic heavy threads.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
So what do you think is the best way for us to post pics to the site? Photobucket or attachment uploads? Also, should we resize or format them a certain way prior to uploading?

For example, say I have a trailcam pic taken from a Bushnell TC, set on the 8 megapixel setting. I want to add it to a post. What's the most efficient, practical way to do so while still keeping relative clarity? I've posted a lot of pics over the years but I've never really thought about whether or not I was doing it efficiently.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Whamo!

A Happy medium between image size and load times. If you want to see the full size Click the yellow bar to open the image and inspect in greater detail.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The forum automatically does it for any image hotlinked to the forum. The clicked image will be as large as the host (photobucket/tapatalk) allows. Test it out with tapatalk.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Is that as large as the original image is? This resizer doesn't make pics larger... It just doesn't make them smaller.

Last edited:

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Taptalk does have an option to attach to the forum, however I keep getting this message: "Unknow Error: It appears the server has some issue with Tapatalk or your session is expired. If this problem persists, please re-enter this forum from Account tab."
I tried their suggestion. I keep getting the same message.