Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ingrown Hairs

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
OK guys, what's the secret to preventing ingrown hairs from shaving? I've tried it all... electrics, razors, this cream, that cream, shaving with the grain, shaving against the grain... but no matter what I do, I always get ingrown hairs like a bitch on the right side of my neck, up against my throat. The rest of my face and neck never has any problems, and I shave every day during the week. Any tips???

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Rock a 5 o'clock shadow. Shave with a pair of Whall Detail Trimmers and line up the 5 O'clock shadow with a razor..

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Rock a 5 o'clock shadow. Shave with a pair of Whall Detail Trimmers and line up the 5 O'clock shadow with a razor..

I've tried that, and it works, but unfortunately I look like trailer trash when I rock a 5 oclock shadow. :)

Shave with cold water and right out of the shower???

I do always shave AFTER showering... however I don't think I've ever shaved with cold water. Usually the water is scaulding hot, now that I think about it. I'll have to give that a try.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Ingrown hairs (also called razor bumps) are unsightly and painful. They result when the shaved hair gets trapped inside the follicle or grows back into the skin. It can cause scarring, redness and swelling (its medical term is Pseudofolliculitis Barbae or PFB).

The comprehensive approach outlined here by my pals at *Menscience will solve the most stubborn conditions or occasional ingrown hairs. You will need to follow all four of the steps in this regimen for several weeks.

1. Treat with active ingredients

•There are several products that claim to help treat ingrown hairs, but the reality is that Salicylic acid is the one active substance that can visibly improve razor bumps. It is a dermatological-grade ingredient that exfoliates, moisturizes, clears pores and can help prevent infection. Use a post-shave product with salicylic acid so it remains on your skin the whole day (see below).

•Use only a non-acnegenic shaving cream specially formulated for sensitive skin, with lots of lubricating agents (foam-based shaving creams can dry and irritate your skin).

•Do not use any product that has alcohol, it will seriously worsen ingrown hairs by drying the skin and closing the pores.

2. Improve your skin's surface

•Exfoliating (removing the upper layers of dead skin) is indispensable to manage ingrown hairs. Daily use of a gentle face scrub with glycolic and salicylic acid is particularly effective.

•Use a soft-bristle face brush and liquid cleanser in a circular motion on your beard to dislodge the tips of ingrown hairs, eliminate dead skin cells and clear follicles to allow hairs to surface unimpeded.

3. Adjust your shaving technique

•Shaving too closely is one of the triggers for razor bumps. Hair stubs cut too closely will get trapped inside the hair follicle and dig inward or sideways. Don't worry, the disappearance of unsightly ingrown hairs will more than make up for the "five-o'clock shadow" appearance.

•To avoid shaving too close, don't pull the skin when you shave; don't put too much pressure on the blades; shave with the grain and use a single-blade razor.

•You will need to maintain this approach over time, as one extra-close shave will be enough to cause a recurrence of ingrown hairs that will take weeks to heal.

4. Treat already ingrown hairs
•Carefully lift the ingrown end out with tweezers, but don't pluck the hair out; this will only make the hair regrow deeper.

•Using products that contain azulene, allantoin and witch hazel will help reduce the redness and swelling.

all this talk about getting fixed , ingrown hairs, gots me thinking that this site is turning us into a bunch of sissy's:smiley_crocodile:

some one needs to kill something soon so we can get our testosterone back in line

rrr

Get a routine.

Trimmer for the goatee. Electric razor. Then warm water, cream (gel is better but I'm a poor college kid), fusion...then shower and aftershave.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I must have good skin. I don't get the bumps and stuff. Hell I dry shave 50% of the time. The most I use is a little water.

Beentown

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I just trim up with the groomer and forget about it. If I am going to church I use the trimmer, and then the razor. My boss is okay with a five o'clock shadow. He is an alright guy.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
TheOhioOutdoorManlovinMetrotrimminNutsacksnippinExfoliatinFeelingsharingWomanmanipulatingUnderagedatingTweetinTextinFuckinwitGregBoobgazingODNRBitchingAndoccasionaldeerkillingsocietydotfuckingcom

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
JB, the answer is to shave IN the shower, hot water, and a fresh double-edged razor like Gillette Good News.
Sharp razors only. It's more expensive, but don't shave with a dullass razor.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
theohiooutdoormanlovinmetrotrimminnutsacksnippinexfoliatinfeelingsharingwomanmanipulatingunderagedatingtweetintextinfuckinwitgregboobgazingodnrbitchingandoccasionaldeerkillingsocietydotfuckingcom

wtf.. :tantrum: SHE"S ALMOST 20... :smiley_blackeye: Speaking of that.. I was meaning to ask... Your daughter. The one that's 27 and has accidental wardrobe malfunctions.. She married?

Just fuggin wif ya Dan.. I would like to keep my head out of a 5 gallon bucket.. rotflmao

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
wtf.. :tantrum: SHE"S ALMOST 20... :smiley_blackeye: Speaking of that.. I was meaning to ask... Your daughter. The one that's 27 and has accidental wardrobe malfunctions.. She married?

Just fuggin wif ya Dan.. I would like to keep my head out of a 5 gallon bucket.. rotflmao

Jack, I didn't single anybody out.....but if the foo shits.....:smiley_bril:

And as far as my daughter, she's single, and you'd need brass balls to hang with her.....
Hell, I usually have a man-to-man if I can with her guys, telling them to "gird their loins" so to speak, and get tornado insurance.
If yer head ended up in a bucket, wouldn't be my doing.:smiley_crocodile:

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Jack, I didn't single anybody out.....but if the foo shits.....

And as far as my daughter, she's single, and you'd need brass balls to hang with her.....
Hell, I usually have a man-to-man if I can with her guys, telling them to "gird their loins" so to speak, and get tornado insurance.
If yer head ended up in a bucket, wouldn't be my doing.

Oh, i didn't mean to imply it would be your doing. I have absolutely no faith in my abilities to keep my head out of said bucket. :smiley_blackeye: