Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Insulator knappers

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
03A432DB-A5D5-4150-B614-8CECEBCFA682.jpeg

Native Americans and Australian Aboriginals both made arrowheads and spearheads out of Insulators. The telegraph companies got fed up with the knappers stealing their glass insulators that they would leave free ones piled up by the poles so they wouldn't have to repair the section taken down by the knappers.

Bird points made from them likewise exist but are fewer in number.

This style insulator, nicknamed "signal", is one of the most diversely colored styles produced by Hemingray from the 1880s to the 1940s . Colors exist in practically the entire spectrum! The example shown here is blue/green and you can see the point made by Ishi, at the museum is the same color Ishi, the last of the Yahi would Knapp anything he would find, often scavenging glass bottles from the University he worked at.
So invaluable was his lessons that his knapping style bore his name to the tool that’s used by Flint nappers today, the Ishi stick .

You can see here is one of the few photos of Ishi knapping and this one might be when he led a university expedition back to his native Yahi homeland in Northern California.

He would create points and give them away to children and anyone who visited him from 1911 until his death in 1916. The last authentic Ishi point sold at auction for a cool $27,000.00.

The First Nations Oneida born actor Graham Greene played him in the TV movie “the last of his tribe “

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Pretty cool :cool:

Thanks for sharing, Jim! I nabbed of few during my days as a lineman years ago. Just might have a few more laying around here someplace.

Anyhow, They're sitting in a dusty corner of the workshop. In all the years I've had them, nobody ever really took notice to them 🥲

20221106_200116.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Left field and CJD3

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Cool story.

I have a few insulators laying around. A couple are somewhat valuable. I'll post pictures the next time I come across them. There is a website where you can lookup just about any of them by style and mold numbers and markings.

There was a bike path in Clark county that was paved that followed the old railroad tracks. Hidden in the fencrow in the right of way was the occasional telegraph pole. I would take binoculars and look at the insulators to see if they were shot up or broken from kids with slingshots. I found some that were whole. Lone Wolf sticks are awesome climbing aids.