Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

It happened last evening...

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
I have tracked more than a few deerz, but this was a strange end to the trail as I have ever seen. I have come to a "dead end" on a nonmortally hit deer where the deer beeded up and quit bleeding. This did not seem to be the case here. The blood trail was easy enough to follow to this point and the flow never really slowed. When we got to where Mike lost the trail last night I was pretty confident that we would find the deer within 100 yards. It looked like the deer fell right off a quad trail. There was a small pool of blood where it feel but a bigger volleyball sized pool on the quad trail. The blood was bright red and I could see bubbles in some spots on the way.

Based on where Mike said he hit it I would guess high lung and with little penetration I think he only got 1 lung. Anyway we circled 100 yards all arounf the last blood. There was no more blood nor a dead deer. Really strange.....I am still scratching my head. We looked for 3 hours and there was no sign of the deer beyond that pool of blood.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I just caught this thread for the first time and read it all - great doe story! And it sux that your buck is gone, but there are some good things about that hunt to remember, especially having help tracking...that's gotta feel good.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I know a guy with a dog. Too bad he was helping the neighbor kid track his first buck and tied up though. Never found it. I don't think he killed it.

Mike- Sorry to hear about this. Maybe your first buck was meant to be a dandy! Heck, everyone's first buck is a dandy no matter how big or small. Sorry to hear it turned out this way.

rrr

Fugg! That is a bitch. I'm glad Swannie was able to get out and help you...damn that sucks bro. Go get the next one!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I had to dig this one back up and see what it was doing.. Sorry again you lost your buck Mike. Somebody told me threads like this "always lead to no good." I needed to come check on it.