Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

It's starting to fill back up!

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
A few weeks ago I went to get something out of the freezer only to find that one of the boys didn't close the door completely the last time they were in it. Evidently my wife had asked one of the boys to take some shrimp out to the freezer about 4 days earlier. Needless to say everything was thawed and ruined!

Well, I just picked my doe up and she yielded an astounding 45 lbs of meat! This definitely put a dent in the restocking.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Daggone John, that's a good chunk of Venison right there! I'm gonna have to pick up a small freezer here soon, because I have intentions of putting at least three deer in it this fall. I'd also like to stock up on some pork and beef.

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
The guy who processed it for me said usually 40lbs a doe is tops, however, this doe had very little fat on her compared to the does he did last year.

Makes me wonder if there is a correlation between how much fat a deer has and the severity of winter. It will be something to observe this season.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I've always been told that there was a correlation between the two, but I've never really heard any scientific evidence proving so. It was always the old timers making these claims.

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
You have to think that animals have to do a better job of naturally preparing for inclimate weather than us. There must be a correlation.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
John, generally 50% of the carcass weight should be about right. I used to get about 55% for people that were paying for processing, unless they had blown slug holes through them...that causes some loss. Those are de-boned numbers.

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
John, generally 50% of the carcass weight should be about right. I used to get about 55% for people that were paying for processing, unless they had blown slug holes through them...that causes some loss. Those are de-boned numbers.

Cool, I figured there was a percentage to give a good estimate. Good info, thanks Brock!

rrr

Nice.

On a meat note- read the paper when I was home this weekend, my company (boss) bought the top steer at the fair...and 21 pigs and sheep. Dang! Talk about freezer space. He sells some of it at processing cost to employees but he keeps the rest and grills lunch at the shop every day, so when its rainy or whatever and work is slow, it's nice to get a huge lamb chop or pork for lunch :D Good business and advertising for him too.