Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I've got a (probably) stupid idea

Creamer

Athens
Tons of options for custom mounting or building one from scratch, thought Creamer was to the point of defining how to modify his current blind.

So, are you open to ideas on how to resolve the root cause or are you looking for thoughts on how to modify a blind?

Resolving the root cause...so change my weapon to fit the blind? I was looking for ways to modify what I have to fit what I need, and I think the idea of building a short frame up off the ground is the best idea I have seen. All I will need to do then is customize the shooting window a bit to be sure I can sneak an arrow out of it.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
No no, lol, that's not what I meant. The weapon stays, it was the cause/change point in the situation. Because the root cause is understood, I was at the next point in the process of understanding root cause and impact. I read the OP as you already made up u're mind to modify. Some great, out of the box design ideas have been presented that don't go down the path of blind modification and are best fits if they are options. I thought you already ruled them out and we're on the modification path. I too wouldn't hack it up if I didn't have to!

Reactions: Creamer

Creamer

Athens
No no, lol, that's not what I meant. The weapon stays, it was the cause/change point in the situation. Because the root cause is understood, I was at the next point in the process of understanding root cause and impact. I read the OP as you already made up u're mind to modify. Some great, out of the box design ideas have been presented that don't go down the path of blind modification and are best fits if they are options. I thought you already ruled them out and we're on the modification path. I too wouldn't hack it up if I didn't have to!

I definitely plan on trying the elevation idea to avoid cutting up the blind. I was hoping someone here would propose a good solution and that was it. What I need to do is prop it up, get inside it, and see how my shooting windows will work. In my head, raising the blind will give me the limb clearance but my shooting windows probably will be too high to work. Hopefully I can modify them without doing too much damage, so we'll see. I wanted to try this over the weekend, but the wind was going to make propping it up a nightmare. I've got time. lol

Creamer

Athens
Well, I finally got around to messing with the blind. I tested some heights first by jacking the blind up on bricks to see what I needed for good limb clearance with the recurve. 6" of added height was pretty comfy, so I figured stacking a frame 2 2x4's high would be plenty. I got everything measured and cut, screwed together, and added some 45* braces on the inside to make sure it stayed pretty rigid. To make it easier to secure the blind to the frame, I added a few small pieces of old decking material to provide a bigger foot, and put a screw eye on each one so I can zip tie the blind to the frame. Worked great. From there, I had to pick which shooting window to modify because they were now all too high for me. I carefully cut the window opening bigger and it seemed to not be an issue (yet). Now I need to find some material to cover up some of the upper portion of the now huge window so I don't have too big of an opening there. Right now it's too big for my liking.

The other thing I will want to do once I get this thing set up (it obviously will not be a mobile setup) is take some material and seal off the gap between the bottom of the blind and the wood frame. When I added the feet for the blind to sit on it allowed for that gap at the bottom. Easy fix. Once I get it all set up and brushed in, I should be good to go. It's pretty cool now to be able to stand up completely straight in the blind if I want to to stretch my legs.