Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

"J"'s 2014 season

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I had been thinking about starting one since the season came in but with the lack of deer sightings I'd be at a loss for words lol.....
Too say this year's been different is an understatement too the second power.... No time too run cameras, scout or clean up shooting lanes due too my deployment and the timeframe I arrived home.... Hit the ground running and basically scouted from the stand and I'd spent a dozen days sitting in two different stands that have consistently produced sightings of deer for the last 4-5 seasons.... We've all had those go too stands hat we can count on too see deer and when they don't produce any sightings whatsoever you begin too second guess yourself....
I will say this, I had no grand illusions of coming home and dropping a wall hanger but the deer that I'd passed up the last two seasons would of been good too see at least one of them along the line lol..... My first deer sighting was almost a week ago around the 27-28 and that was a button buck and I was tickled pink too see him lol..... A friend of mine hunts the same area that I do and he wasn't doing any better then I was so it wasn't just me lol....
When I got home I wanted too get a mineral sight started more near my creek crossing stand and two weeks ago I got it up and running with a camera on it.... I didn't want too overwhelm the woods with my traipsing around the woods pulling cards on trail camera so I put the sight there due too its location and not having too bust deer out of the area pulling cards.....
I pulled a card on the 24th and got a semi blurry picture of the. Ice I took this morning and deleted it because it was difficult too make out.... But other then him I had a doe and a button buck and a grey fox and coons.... 3 deer all after shooting time....
Depressing was theme for the hunts too follow but I continued too hit too the point shy of burning myself out.... I've done that too many times over the years and have paid the price for it.... So with no expectations and an attitude of let's see what happens that's where I was....
I had too work this last weekend but made it out for a couple of hours Friday mid day.... Nothing moved thru and they were pulling corn at the time a couple hundred yards from me.... I was confident something would bust outta that corn field lol..... But.... Nothing did..... On my drive home I'd come too the conclusion this season was going too be a rough one and too just sit in the stand and take what comes my way.... I ate my buck tag last year and probably would again this year lol.....
I started thinking about the upcoming rabbit season coming in here shortly and decided I'd be putting more time into it then deer hunting due too the lack of deer sightings.... So I figured I'd take a couple of days this week sit in the stand and see what happens....
Got a late start this morning and wanted to take a shower before heading out so I was about a half hour later then I normally would of been on stand.... Wasn't happy about it but chalked it up too time change and typical for this season lol....
Got situated and the sun was just peaking over the horizon and it was a great sunrise, as soon as it crested the horizon it hit the clouds and it was gone for the next hour or so lol.... Welcome too NE Ohio lol..... It peaked back out around 8 or so and it had that warming feeling on a not so warm morning lol..... Just after it came back out I heard something down in front of me and at first I couldn't see anything then off too my right at about 40 yards was a deer and it was walking from my left too right, not in a hurry or trailing anything but just meandering up towards the barn....
I picked up the bow and stood up and wasn't sure if it would offer a shot as it was pretty thick where it was and where it may have headed..... But after another couple of yards it turned 90 degrees and headed towards the mineral site I had made.... It ended up on the far side of it and stopped too sniff around it and then walked my way.... Between it and I was a large beach tree that covered my movement and I got turned and readied the bow.... The route he was taking would of made it about a 15 yard shot and in a fairly open area at that.....
He stopped behind the beach tree and I raised the bow looking half thru and over he scope and waited.... It was only a coup,e of seconds but felt a lot longer then that lol..... He stepped out away from the beach tree and took a couple of steps and stopped.... He was not quite broadside but not quite quartering too me either.... I lined up too put an arrow thru both lungs and pulled the trigger and for once I watched the arrow hit its mark....
A mule kick later he was off too the races and went about 50 yards and stopped and then did the death wobble and rolled over with a couple of kicks and that was it....
I watched for a minute or two and then sat down and shook my head as how fast things change lol..... And not did they lol....
Within a couple more minutes all hell broke lose and here comes a doe flying into my area with a spike and a fork horn in tow along with her two fawns lol.... These two bucks were dogging her relentlessly and she dove into the creek, jumped too the other side and off she went lol.... The two small bucks chased after her with the two fawns looking like with do we do now lol.... They finally crossed the creek and went towards the mass confusion that was going on over there lol.... They came buy a couple more times like the Indy 500 and as fast as it started it was done lol....
I sat there shaking my head and laughing at the same time lol.... What a morning.... I got down got my arrow and followed the blood trail too where my buck had dropped....
He had a good size body with a not so good size rack.... I would of given him a free pass any other time but this year.... Not so much lol.... Now I can relax, chase bunnies and maybe drop a doe or two for my and a buddies freezer who can't make it out.....
Sorry for the long winded post but this will probably be it for my journal for 2014/15 lol so I made it count hahaha.... Thanks for all the congrats from the IKS thread and a big shout out for Mike starting it..... This places rocks!!!!!!
Now I'll have too start a 2014/15 rabbit hunting thread lmao!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415059979.276822.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415060007.279491.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415060034.748083.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415060058.100370.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415060091.252863.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415060116.371733.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415060169.359813.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415060191.428077.jpg

Here he is a moment before his demise smiling for the camera lol..... This is the second time I've gotten a deer on camera before a shot, but this is by far the clearest lol....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415060217.897045.jpg

Oh and carnage is from a Thunder head .125 broad head lol.... Been using them forever and they've yet too let me down lol.....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415068654.956539.jpg

My buddy Sean had too pick up some specialty cuts from his doe he got a couple weeks ago from where I dropped off my buck and he took a picture of me and the buck....